Download the free patterns to create felted wool gifts.
Follow this guide to felt a wool sweater:
Ever accidentally shrink a sweater in the wash? Little did you know that the felted wool is perfect for creating purses, pouches, scarves, stuffed toys and much more! Any wool knit is easily felted in the washing machine. Just follow these steps:
- Make sure that the sweater is 100% wool. Check to see if the tag says "Dry Clean Only." If the wool has been treated for machine washing, it won't felt.
- As the wool is felting, it will shed a great deal of fiber. To protect your washer from clogging, put the sweater in a mesh laundry bag or zippered pillowcase.
- Wash the sweater with laundry detergent and hot water. Remove the sweater from the bag.
- Place the sweater in the dryer on the hottest setting.
- Remove the sweater from the dryer and clean out the lint trap. Check the sweater to see if it has felted to your liking. If it still doesn't feel dense or stiff enough, repeat the process.