Five Sources for Laminated Cotton

Coming up in the April/May ’11 issue of Sew News, we’re featuring an adorable reversible raincoat. Here’s a sneak peek:

Rain Gear Five Sources for Laminated Cotton

The pattern is Amy Butler’s Rainy Days Hooded Raincoat. Cute, right?

One side of the coat is made from laminated cotton (from Amy Butler’s Love collection), which is an excellent water-resistant choice for rain wear. If you have trouble tracking down laminated cotton, here are some great places you can find it online:

• Hart’s Fabric carries lots of cute prints, including Amy Butler and Echino.
  • Purl Soho has quite a few pretty choices–some on sale!
  • Fabric.com has a wide selection, including Ty Pennington and Michael Miller prints.
  • Etsy has tons of choices. Just do a “Supplies” search for “laminated cotton” to see what various vendors have to offer.
  • Fabric Bliss has some bright and pretty options.

Have you sewn laminated cotton before? Share tips or other sources in the Comments section below!

10 Responses to Five Sources for Laminated Cotton

1. Trish says:

Tote bags would work up well in laminated cotton! I found a piece of vintage floral oilcloth that I” intend to work up into a tote. Can’t wait to try it. Are laminates & oilcloth the same or similar? Is there a way to “laminate” cotton fabrics? With clear vinyl? I love Sew News magazine! I just discovered it & am totally hooked. Thanks.

2. Beth says:

Trish- A laminated cotton tote bag would be super cute! In answer to your question, the upcoming article will actually feature a tutorial on DIY fabric laminating using iron-on vinyl from Therm O Web: (800) 323-0799, thermowebonline.com.

3. Dee Goodwin says:

Would love to make a raincoat with laminate fabric. Thank you so much for the links. My favorite sewing projects are making simple dresses for my great grandaughter and purses for me. Your magazine is a great one, I have looked to it for inspiration for many years.

4. Dawna says:

Actually I was in Jackman’s which is a sewing store in our area and they did a tote bag and this material. It was VERY cute! They had it with a raincoat someone made. The Raincoat in person is VERY cute as well. I am dying to try it.

5. Rose says:

I received my Sew News magazine today and already read from page to page. I can hardly wait to get the next issue. I would love to try the raincoat in that issue. Your magazine Rocks!!!! Thank you for a great magazine.

6. Taylor Davis says:

Another great source for laminates is fabricsonmillst.com
    I love to make beach bags using these fabrics, and of course the easy as pie laminated table cloth. Just cut it out, and stick it on your table :)

7. sandy says:

I am so thankful to have found this site! I just found some pretty laminated fabric marked down on Fairytale Frocks and Lollipops. And I have this really cute pattern to make a poncho raincoat from Fig Tree Quilts.
    But Fig Tree talks about oilcloth. So of course I got confused. Was wondering came upon this site to find out I CAN use laminated fabric.

Thank you so much this was so helpful

8. Jenny Yackel says:

Beth,

I am looking for the tutorial you referred to awhile back on how to DIY your own laminated fabric. I have found the Thermoweb vinyl but it only comes in width of 20″ and I am curious how I would do a larger piece of fabric such as a tablecloth. Can the vinyl be pieced together somehow?!

9. Brian says:

I’m looking for establishing business relationship with the company who’s selling cotton laminated fabrics.I’m a cotton printed fabric and cotton laminated fabric supplier from china,the fabrics are for raincoats,table cloth,placemats,shower curtains and more.Please any friends here can kindly advise me who i should contact to?I’ll appreciate that very much.

10. Renee says:

I don’t know how to sew myself (yet anyway) but love these laminated cotton fabrics, and wanted to have an item made for my son (clothing). Can anyone recommend a good sewer / seamstress in or around new York city whose good with these fabrics? Thanks!