Hot New Trend: Sewing Cafes

Last year, a new cafe called Sweat Shop opened in one of Paris’ most stylish neighborhoods. What sets this cafe apart? It doubles as a sewing studio! The concept is similar to that of a cyber cafe, but instead of computers, visitors can enjoy a cup of coffee and cake while renting a sewing machine by the hour.

sweatshop 300x203 Hot New Trend: Sewing Cafes

Photo Credit: New York Times

The owners have decorated Sweat Shop’s interior with a cozy, retro vibe, and so far, the concept has been very popular–the shop even appeared in French Vogue! Customers have been steadily stopping in to make alterations or purchase one of the shop’s all-in-one project kits. To read more, check out the New York Times profile of Sweat Shop.

More sewing cafes are popping up worldwide. Check out this profile of the Ministry of Craft, a new cafe that just opened in Manchester, UK. The Make Lounge in London was one of the pioneers of the idea, and has been open since 2007. Have you ever visited a sewing cafe? Would you like to visit one? Even as someone with my own machines and dedicated sewing space, the idea of spending an hour drinking tea and socializing while I sew sounds pretty appealing. Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Hot New Trend: Sewing Cafes

1. Doris says:

This is a fantastic idea! I would definitely visit with a friend so that we can sew and chat together. If they had several different brands/types of machines, and sergers, it would be a great chance to try them out before buying! It would also come in handy for those times when your own machine at home isn’t working.

2. Nancy says:

What a great idea. It would be a good place to also get pointers from experts.

3. Lorene says:

I love the idea though I would be concerned about spilling tea or coffee on my fabric.

4. Mabel Martinez says:

Makes me wanna run home and create create create!!!!

5. Horacestine says:

Great idea would be interested ion more info checking out full story.

6. Marie Kissinger says:

I have wanted to do something like this for years. I thought how clever to have a place for people to work on quilts that was bit “homey”. There would be a place for essentials-relax and sew. I still would like to do something like this.

7. Linda T says:

I have offered Open Sew Sessions several times during the day at my sewing school. They are a lot of fun. This summer we will be adding more time and amenities like snacks and juice. Love this whole idea.

8. What a concept…I think I could spend all day in a cafe. My hats off to you, truely beautiful!

9. Amy says:

This idea reminds me of sewing circles and quilters groups from years past, what a GREAT idea :)

10. Mary Ellen says:

Love it! Actually, here in Goodland, KS, we have a place called Sew What. While I don’t think the owner thinks of it as a sewing cafe, it kind of is – She has all these sewing machines everywhere for people to come in and use. She hosts a class and then encourages people to drop in and spend time working on the project. It’s a great venue for moms and daughters to sew together. No, I’m not the owner! I just think it is a fun place.

11. Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness on your post is just cool and that i could assume you are an expert in this subject. Well along with your permission allow me to clutch your feed to stay updated with approaching post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please continue the rewarding work.