Free Stuff Friday! Special News!

We are very happy to announce that our Editor-in-Chief, Ellen March, is celebrating her first week with the new addition to her family, an adorable baby boy! Congratulations to Ellen and her husband!

Since this is a very special week, we are giving away two cute Bananafana kid’s patterns. Rex Cover 194x300 Free Stuff Friday! Special News!Daisy Cover copy 194x300 Free Stuff Friday! Special News!

For your chance to win, answer this question in the comments section:

What have you sewn for newborn babies or children?

Post your answer by 9 AM ET on Monday, when we’ll announce the winner. Good luck!

96 Responses to Free Stuff Friday! Special News!

1. blankets, bibs, burp cloths, diaper covers, pacifier holders. All for new great grandson and great nephew (born week apart).

2. Pat H. says:

I have a brand new granddaughter this year (our first) and have been sewing for her, the neighbor’s littl girl and even had a commission. Have I been sewing for children!! And loving it.

3. Mary K Readly says:

The very first thing I ever sewed for an infant was a christening outfit at the request of a co-worker. I was surprised at how much fun it was. Now I am looking forward to making special outfits for my new granddaughter.

4. Judy Stuart says:

With a brand new granddaughter, I have dusted off my sewing and embroidery machines and have made bibs, quilts, an activity quilt and have a Christmas bag and tag ready to go with her name on it. Let the fun begin!

5. Linda says:

Since I will soon have 6 grandbabies every free minute I have goes to sewing for thoses babies. I have made layettes, blankets, quilts, booties, bibs, sensory blankets, nursing capes, covers for seats, toys and more. I have made cute dresses out of vintage tableclothes, fancy dresses and christening gowns.

6. Diane Totman says:

I took an old Cabbage Patch pattern and made a dress for our preemie Granddaughter Ivy!!! She looked so beautiful in it and was so cute at her Baby Shower!!!

7. Marlene Helvey says:

love this site.

8. Tammy says:

I love sewing baby quilts and the bedding that goes with them {bumper pads & skirts} also bibs, clothing and soft toys. Diaper covers are fun because they are small and super easy.

9. Melonie Bushey says:

I have made many things for my first grandson. Before he was born I made him a cloth book and some cloth blocks. After he was born, I made his mom some breast pads and when his legs got too long for most of his clothes I made him clothes. Then when he turned one I made him a huge canvas teepee. At his birthday party I had all the guest trace around their hands and sign their names and leave a little note for him. I hope he will always remember the fun he had in his teepee.

10. Shelly Mundy says:

I bought a plain baby dress at the thrift store, took it apart and made a pattern for a new dress for a cousin’s baby shower. She recently sent me pics of her precious little one in the dress and it fit! yay! score! Love love love these new patterns!

11. Sandra Coronado says:

I have a new granddaughter. I have been sewing like a mad woman for her and my daughter. Baby room curtains, bumper pads, glider slip covers, blankets, high chair pad, baby swing cover. It’s been so much fun, I have purchased patterns so I can make MORE new things! Aren’t grandbabies wonderful?!
    Sandra

12. Rhonda says:

Quilts Quilts Quilts! I have made quilts for my granddaughter, my children’s friends, and military families. Also have made burp cloths, waterproof pads and an Easter dress for my newborn granddaughter. Love to sew!

13. Phyllis Modgling says:

I have had a ball making bowling shirts for my 3 year old grandson and sundresses for my granddaughter. My current project? A skirt and blouse for my daughter-in-law for work. Since I’ve retired, I love having the opportunity to sew without time worries!

14. Robin says:

I have sewn embroidered and appliqued personalized baby blankets for my two grandchildren as well as friends’ grandchildren. I am always sewing for my 5 year old granddaughter. She is a fashionista diva who likes dressing up with matching shoes. I have sewn her ice skating outfits and ballerina dresses and I made her a mermaid costume for her very first Halloween. I also gave her mother a sewing machine and lessons (they don’t live near me unfortunately). Right now I’m working on some fancy afternoon tea dresses and jumpers for her. I’m trying new (for me) techniques.

15. Louise says:

I’ve made virtually everything. I did a complete layette including diapers and diaper covers, back in the day when there were no disposables. I’ve also designed and constructed sheets, pillowcases, bumper pads, diapers stacker and even embroidered the pictures for the walls. I also made afghans, quilts, and christening outfits. I have 4 children and 14 grandchildren so there is always plenty of designing and sewing to be done. :)

16. Doris says:

I made my boys matching outfits when they were small, for my daughter I loved making her dresses. I made her first dress when she was a week old (I had a c-section and could not go anywhere and when the kids slept, I sewed). I borrowed a sundress for my daughter that I loved, so I copied it and made one for her & her cousin!

17. Janet Tate says:

I have a new granddaughter and have made bibs, burb clothes, shopping cover and dresses. Look forward to making her an up to date baby with lots of handmade items..

18. Crib sheets, pack-n-play sheets, changing pad covers, burp pads, changing pads, bibs, sleep sacks, quilts, bumper pads, crib dust ruffles, receiving blankets, crib blankets, comforters, car seat covers, bouncy seat pads and covers, stroller covers, sunshades, boy and girl clothes, pjs, night gowns, buntings, coats, light weight jackets, hats, bonnets, toys, books and anything else the kids and grandkids ask for!

19. Linda T says:

I love sewing for the new editions. My granddaughter arrived last November and I made crib bedding and I made her christening gown. She looked so precious!

20. Marcy says:

Besides baby quilts, I like to make fabric books for babies with a variety of textures in them. These have been a hit at every baby shower!

21. Christine says:

Love making little kimono’s for others. It uses up all my extra fabric and it always goes to someone who might need them. ( If I know the new babies’ name, I’ll embroider it on it too! )

22. Deborah Dawdy says:

I have made layette sets for my own children and my friends’ children. I also make quilts for friends’ babies and for non-profit organizations which offer assistance to those in need. I am looking forward to making clothes and other essential and even non essential items for my future grandchildren. I have also made pillows and stuffed animals, diaper bags, etc. for children in my extended family.

23. Heidi L says:

I love to make burp cloths and receiving blankets out of very soft flannel – it’s always a very welcome gift for the new baby ! Congrats to Ellen March !

24. Anna says:

I have sewed everything from jogging suits to little sport coats for the children & grand children

25. Sheila Whitney says:

I have been sewing baby swaddler blankets and a baby boy blessing outfit. I have 1 grandson and 2 more grandchildren on the way, so I am sure that I will be sewing a lot more items for them. I plan to make a diaper bag for my daughter as well. I would love to have some new patterns to try out.

26. Julie M says:

I have been sewing for my daughter since she was very little. Not quite newborn because I was too pooped to sew :-) These patterns are adorable!

27. stacey h says:

i just recently loaded up my sister at her baby shower with receiving blankets, burp cloths, wash cloths and a swaddling towel. for both her and my sister in law (due within 3 weeks of each other) i did diaper bags with change pads, fleecy car blankets and gauze nursing covers that can double as stroller covers or light blankets. and all sorts of other stuff like that for my other sister – plus a little capelet for her daughter to wear to church.
    for my own kids i have made blankets & pillowcases, clothes, booties, hats, aprons, halloween costumes (my twin girls were 2 peas in a pod for their first halloween – last year they were thing 1 and thing 2) and a wonderful santa suit. my next sentimental project is making some stuffies out of a housecoat that their great grandmother had and loved :) the big christmas project is to make a kilt for my niece out of some plaid that her great grandmother brought back from scotland and never used.

28. Janice Grimes says:

I made my son a carriage/stroller bag out of his Dad’s overalls. I cut the top section off and stitched the bottoms together in order to hold toys, diapers, etc. The straps hooked directly over the front and the standard pockets were the perfect size for his bottle and favorite toy!

29. Kim N says:

I have a ten month old, and I’ve sewn clothing (mostly dresses) for her and diapers! An all-in-one diaper is perfect for daddy diaper changes and it fits nicely under her clothes.

30. Brandy says:

I sew burp cloths, diaper bags, blankets as gifts & to sell. Through my church, my class of 1-5 grade girls help make dolls for children in Africa. The girls cut out the faces & bodies. Myself & 2 other teachers sew the dolls then the girls stuff them, draw on faces with fabric markers & make the yarn hair for them. We made 48 dolls our first year & last year we were able to make 125 dolls!!! It’s very satisfying to know that we are making something for a less fortunate child & they treasure those dolls!!

31. Connie Brown says:

I have sewn many clothes and blankets for my granchildren. And still do! I even transformed a prom dress into a “dress up” outfit for my granddaughter. It gave her father a peak into what she will look like on her wedding day!

32. Sue Brennan says:

When my son was crawling, I sewed pants with suspenders in every color and fabric, then purchased little shirts…When my daughters came along, I just purchased new, frilly shirts to go with the pants. I also made matching dresses for my girls every holiday until they were able to sew for themselves. My one daughter made two prom dresses for herself.

33. karen says:

It has been a while, but I made my entire layette. Little gowns with draw string bottoms, bibs, burping pads, flannel blankets to use for everything. Coverlets, crib sheets and blankets. Come to think of it, how did I find the time!!!!!!!

34. Victoria Butler says:

Blankets of course, but my favorite to make is a bunting with matching soft hat to keep their heads warm. I have a pattern for shoes and I’m looking forward to trying it with embroidery from my machine. I just love the creative process.

35. Marilyn Lefholz says:

baptism gown & shoes for my granddaughter!

36. Shawness says:

I love sewing for children when my daughter was little I sewed many of her outfits and now I sew for my god daughter or any other little girls I know!

37. pee pee tee pees, applique onesies, burp cloths, bips, blankets, dresses, halloween costumes, dress pants…love to sew for kids!

38. Quilts, pillow cases & christening gown(s)….anything ‘little’ I can think of….

39. Louisa says:

Quilts, cute outfits!

40. Kathy Witt says:

I have been sewing a quilt, curtains, pillowcover, burp cloths, onesies, blankets, bibs, etc., for my new grandson, Mason.

41. Barbara Kennedy says:

My latest project is a pettiskirt for my grandaughter’s 5th birthday party. I sew and machine embroider all their special occasion and holiday outfits. I have 3 little grandaughters and one grandson. I really enjoy making all the boutique outfits for them.

42. Kim Edwards says:

I have 10 grandchildren. I have sewn all kind of baby stuff. I have sewn, blankets. quilts, baby bibs,dresses, pants, tops. I have sewn alot. I lve sewing. I really love seing for people, just because….Thanks for all that you do for us. Thanks you for your time, Kim Edwards

43. Andrea F. says:

Oh so many things. Full crib sets, baby blankets, turned onesies onto little ballerina dresses, suffed animals, and the list goes on

44. SheriB says:

My niece has a 6 month old baby girl. I made her several flannel blankets and a quilted crazy quilt. Love to sew for babies!

45. Karen says:

When my kids were little I made lots of onsies with matching diaper covers/shorts. Bibs were always in short supply. I adapted a bib pattern to be about 2 feet long, It helped double as a burp cloth. Particularly good for ‘projectile vomiting’ which only happens when you have no time and are ready to leave for work!

46. Julie Akyol says:

I just love to sew and will sew entire wardrobes, layettes and room furnishings. I love to decorate and embellish as well and just have fun.

47. Debi Erbes says:

Mostly I sew burp clothes, knit gowns, minkee blankets and the list goes on. Last year I bought a number of the little blankets with the animal heads on them….I personalize them and the mom’s love them. They are smaller and just the right size for a little one to hang on to. For a special baby girl I might smock a bishop and I usually keep a number of smocked bonnets on hand. I don’t have babies any more so am thrilled when I get to sew for a wee one.

48. Claudia McCorkle says:

I love sewing for kids. My own sons r 18 and 20 now so they don’t want me sewing for them unless its lounging pants or an accessory for one of their tech toys. I love sewing for babies such as crib bedding,christening gowns and baby toys. My favorite thing to sew lately is halloween costumes for my nephew who has been a fireman,a doctor and Batman. Nothing can top a kid loving something u made just for them.

49. Sue Huffman says:

quilts, layette stuff, a monkey that wraps around your neck, pillows, clothes, stuffed animals, and a doll – more in the future :D

50. Sandy L says:

Anything for babies and children. Personalized blankets and blankey babies, rag dolls, bibs, burp cloths, baby quilts, baby cloths, baby buntings, snuggies for new mother and baby to match, etc, etc, etc.