Guest Blog Post: Learn How to Start a Sewing Group

We celebrated the launch of Sew It All, Volume 4 a few weeks ago at our friend Aurora’s wonderful fabric store Fabric Bliss, where I had the pleasure of meeting Jill Case, who started the Denver Sewing Collective. The Denver Sewing Collective lets local sewists know upcoming events by spreading the word via meetup.com and Facebook. I love the idea behind the group, which brings sewists together to connect and promote the love of sewing, so I invited Jill to share her experience with creating a sewing community:

I love sewing but I have always found its solitary nature a little bit too isolating. Most of us go to our sewing space alone, sit hunched over our machines and quietly produce a masterpiece (or perhaps an addition to the Pile o’ Shame). I had been kicking around the idea of starting a sewing group for a long time and in April of 2010 the Denver Sewing Collective had its first meeting.

Many people ask why I started the group. For one, I wanted to get myself out of the solitary confines of my sewing room and meet like-minded people. Sewing is a big part of my life but most of my friends and family get a glazed look when I begin a conversation with the words fabric or sewing. Second, I wanted to meet people face to face and exchange ideas and techniques instead of learning via YouTube videos. Third, I love using the group as a conduit for the local handmade and sewing related businesses in the area.

What I didn’t expect when creating the Denver Sewing Collective was the fellowship and sense of community that has grown with the group. A creative way we foster community is through our Sew it Forward Day. We pick a charity that would benefit from a sewn item and take to our machines. In June we made comfort pillows for Cuz We Care. This organization gives out small pillows to cancer patients and others who need a little comfort during difficult medical procedures. It was a record hot day but members and those in the community created 137 pillows. Events like this are not only fun but a fantastic way to use our talents for a good cause.

sew night 1 300x224 Guest Blog Post: Learn How to Start a Sewing Group

Sewing together at Fabric Bliss

sewing 300x224 Guest Blog Post: Learn How to Start a Sewing Group

Hard at work on a project

Since I started the Denver Sewing Collective I have become a better seamstress.  But, far more wonderful are the relationships that have grown from it and the pure fun in sharing a passion with others.

Are there sewing groups in your area? What do you do when you get together?  Or do you prefer to sew it alone? Share in the Comments section below!

jills pic 150x150 Guest Blog Post: Learn How to Start a Sewing Group

Jill Case has been sewing for many years. She has ripped out plenty of mistakes and contributes often to her fabric “Pile o’ Shame.” However, she finds nothing is more heavenly then when a sewing project comes together perfectly. To bring other sewing fanatics together Jill has created the Denver Sewing Collective. This creative community brings all levels of seamstresses together to sew, learn and have fun. Please go to www.denversewingcollective.com for more information or to their Fan Page at  www.facebook.com/denversewingcollective. Get out and Sew!

15 Responses to Guest Blog Post: Learn How to Start a Sewing Group

1. Dory says:

Denver also has an active American Sewing Guild chapter, part of a national organization with local chapters and Neighborhood Groups.

2. Pingback: Sewing, Fashion and more for July 2012 « The magical effects of thinking

3. The social nature of sewing has completely transformed my craft, both meeting friends through Fabric Bliss and online via Twitter and my blog. I’m so glad you’ve started the Denver Sewing Collective, Jill! I’ve already learned so much via meeting you and your blog! Us sewists have to stick together :-)

4. Pingback: Who are your sewing buddies? « The Nerdy Sewist

5. Maureen V says:

I live outside of a small town in Iowa. I would love to be in a group like this, but the fabric stores are all in the big cities so I have to drive about 100 miles for one. When I retire or semi-retire, maybe I should look into starting one up in my area. It is hard to find people that sew anymore.

6. Eileen G says:

This does sound like a great group. I’ve always thought about joining a group, or maybe starting one and see what happens. And, you are right, sewing can be a lonely hobby.

7. Cathey says:

Wow!!!

It sounds like you have started a wonderful group. It’s so great to know that there are passionate sewers out there like me! I really like your web page. I looked at a few other groups in the area and am going to join yours, as it looks like the best!

8. Isa b says:

True, if I had to get my sew on by myself, I would definitely sew way less. Having a monthly gathering of fun ladies to chat and sew with definitely gets me motivated to get a project together to bring to work on. Plus we swap fabric there too. So much sustainable fun. If your in the north Denver Metro area, please join us!!! You are sure to have a great time.

9. Molly says:

I am trying to start a neighborhood group of the American Sewing Guild in my community. There hasn’t been one here in 14 years. We are a mostly military town and very transient, but an ASG membership is portable! I too think that too many seamstresses need to come out of their solitary confines and share with others, it’s a great way to learn!

10. Robin Richey says:

Great idea.

11. Joen says:

I belong to a group called “Savvy Sewers” that was started last year. We meet at our local fabric shop “Just Make It Sew” the owner JoAnn helped put the group together. Each month we cover a different topics, i.e. how to install an invisible zipper, serger tips, field trips to NYC fabric district, and even a guest speaker on custom bra making. It so nice to meet women with sewing in common, we have great fun and its a great support system to learn from each other. If in the NJ area and would like to join us check JoAnn’s website at http://www.justmakeitsew.com or shop on line.

12. Pingback: How to Start A Sewing Group | DailyCraft - Your Daily Dose of Arts & Crafts Tips, Projects, & Inspiration. Quilting, Sewing, Knitting, Scrapbooking, Card Making and more!

13. Chrissy says:

I actually just started a ‘Eat Drink &Be Crafty’ club a few months ago. This month we will be making pillowcases for the million pillowcase challenge. Each month we teach a different craft and our group is already around a dozen girls with new members joining each month! It is great to have it to look forward to each month.

14. Linda says:

I dont live in US and dont know of any sewing groups around, but I was wondering – how do you start it? Where do you meet? Where do you find people who are passionate about sewing? I would love to start a sewing club here in Riga, Latvia. Thank you!

15. Kirsten says: