Waffle Cloth Wednesday! What is Waffle Cloth?

Waffle cloth, also known as waffle weave fabric or honeycomb fabric, is a woven fabric that has a recessed pattern created by cords running either vertically,horizontally or both, creating a square design (hence the waffle name).

waffleclothwhite1 300x300 Waffle Cloth Wednesday! What is Waffle Cloth?

Waffle cloth is generally made of cotton, but can also be made of wool, polyester-cotton blends or microfiber.

waffle cloth1 300x225 Waffle Cloth Wednesday! What is Waffle Cloth?

Waffle cloth comes in several different gauges from fine to medium to coarse. The color most commonly associated with waffle cloth is white, though it does come in a variety of colors and prints.

It is woven in a way that makes it very absorbent, but also allows air to flow through it so it dries quickly. This makes waffle cloth ideal for anything where absorbency is needed.

So what to make with waffle cloth?

Light Gauge- Hand towels, dish towels or cleaning cloths.

Medium Gauge- Bath towels, aprons, pajamas or other clothing.

Coarse Gauge- Plush bath towels, robes or slippers.

Have you made anything with waffle cloth? What was it? What made you chose that fabric?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Waffle Cloth Wednesday! What is Waffle Cloth?

1. Ludmilla says:

I made beautiful dish clothes, but that was way back when I was learning to sew.

2. Kelly Preciado says:

I have used dish towels made form Waffle Cloth but I have not, as of yet, sewed anything from Waffle Cloth. Hmm…..I now think a few projects will be coming up!

3. Paula says:

Looks like something that I need to sew up. Would definitely be easy for dish clothes, and towels.

4. Wendy says:

I made someone a wonderful house coat out of pale pink waffle weave cotton. It is so easy to work with and gives excellent results! Be sure to preshrink first. I did because it is cotton. The texture is even better after washing and drying, and, you don’t have to worry about further shrinkage!
    Wendy

5. Mary says:

Wasn’t there a fabric back in the 40′s or 50′s called waffle pique? I think it was finer that this, and I had a skirt made of it.

6. Ashley says:

Hi Mary: Yes there was! In a couple fabric books I have they use all the names interchangeably.

7. Ali M says:

Hmm, I have a waffle cloth shower curtain I decided to stop using when I made a new one last month, maybe I’ll have to repurpose it for something!

8. I think it’d make nice diaper covers!

9. Jane C. says:

I have a jacket made out of it. I bought it at a thrift shop and wear it seldom.

10. Marthie says:

Love to make dish cloths with is. BUT very difficult to get in SA

11. Maria Nogueira says:

Talvez no Brasil seja o tecido que chamamos de piquê?.
    Se for já fiz colcha p/ bebê bordada.