Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Have you ever had trouble attaching satin blanket binding? Here are some tips for mitering corners, joining strips and finishing a blanket in under an hour.

I was at the fabric store this weekend buying fleece for my little boy’s Halloween costume (more on that later). I couldn’t pass up this fun monster print and had to make a blanket to celebrate the end-of-summer, beginning-of-fall, pre-Halloween excitement that I felt as I wandered through the store.

binding package e1347903732442 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Satin Blanket Binding

I decided to keep it simple and stick to one layer of fleece and bind the whole thing with premade satin blanket binding. Could it get any easier than that? This way, I was sure I could actually finish the thing before Halloween, since I really came into the store to purchase costume-making supplies…guess I needed an excuse to put off that sewing until next weekend.

Here’s how I did it:

Supplies:

• 1 1/2 yards of fleece, selvages trimmed
  • 2 packages of premade satin blanket binding, pressed flat
  • all-purpose thread that matches the binding (I used Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP)
  • sewing machine (I used a Husqvarna Viking Designer Ruby)

Instructions

Find one end of one binding strip. (Notice that one long edge is shorter than the other. This is the edge you want to face you as you sew.)

Position the binding end along the enter of one fleece edge, sandwiching the fleece between the binding and abutting the fleece edge with the binding fold; pin. Make sure the shorter binding long edge is facing up, along with the fabric right side.

Set the machine for a 5mm-wide zigzag stitch, and make sure the machine is set for heavyweight fabric (or adjusting the presser foot pressure to accommodate the thick layers).

Zigzag stitch the binding to the fleece, making sure to catch both binding long edges with the stitches. Position the left needle swing just off of the binding on the left side.

left needle swing e1347904331422 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Left Needle Swing

right needle swing e1347904407800 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Right Needle Swing

At the corner, stop sewing 3 1/2″ from the edge. Leave the needle in the fabric. Pin the fleece/binding at the corner.

pin corner e1347904604182 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Pin Binding at Corner

Fold the binding toward the adjacent edge, aligning the fleece edge with the binding fold; pin.

fold corner e1347904701718 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Fold Adjacent Edge

Push the excess binding into the corner, aligning the excess fold with the binding fold. Remove the first pin. Make sure the back is doing the same thing as the front. Pin the mitered corner.

stitch corner e1347904832901 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Pin Mitered Corner

Continue sewing to the corner and around to the next edge, pivoting at the corner and leaving the pin in the miter fold.

mitered corner e1347904928945 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Pivot at Corner

Continue stitching the binding, mitering the corners as you reach them. Stitch all the way to the binding end. Using the second package of binding, locate the end so the narrow long edge is facing up. Unfold the end and refold the corner points into a triangle; press.

fold end into point e1347905139373 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Fold End into Triangle

Wrap the triangle around the stitched end, aligning the binding long edges; pin.

front joining pinned e1347905634314 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Pin Triangle

Make sure the back looks like the front.

back of joining e1347905870990 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Back of Joining

Continue stitching the remaining binding.

Trim the excess binding 3 1/2″ beyond the beginning.

trim end beyond beginning e1347905767665 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Trim Excess Binding

Fold the end into a triangle as per the previous instructions, pin, and then stitch to conceal the beginning raw end.

Stitch over each joining seam, backstitching at the beginning and end.

sew joining e1347905973184 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Stitch Joining Seam

joining strips e1347906094430 225x300 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Clean Finish on Back

Stitch the mitered corners as per the joining seams.

Just like that you have your finished blanket!

finished e1347906189645 300x225 Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

Finished Blanket

I’ve tried to hand sew the joining seams and mitered folds, but the satin binding has a tendency to fray when the hand sewing needle passes through it too many times. Machine sewing is the best solution.

I hope you use this tutorial to make plenty of blankets using all the cute fabrics that are hitting the shelves for the holidays. Send us images of your blankets to or post to our Flickr Sew News Readers Group page!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Attaching Satin Blanket Binding

1. Julie says:

Nicely done, easily explained, and it does in deed work just as you said!

2. Roberta Schultz says:

Thank you for sharing your technique! I always have trouble with the corners, so I will have to give this a try!

3. Melanie says:

This is how I’ve done my blanket binding for years. The only thing you differently than I, is you start your second pkg of binding in your corner? That is a great idea.
    I’ve thought of this often, but never did do it. But that is a great idea! Also love how
    you finish your binding with a mitered end, and sew it up with double stitching.
    One thing I have noticed with this satin blanket binding, that you didn’t mention,
    is that when you open your pkg of binding, you’ll notice that they have the binding
    factory pressed. One side is longer than the other, and you want to first stitch down
    the longer edge. The shorter side should be the second side you stitch down. That
    way they’ll look more uniform.
    Thank you, at least I’m not the only one who does it this way

4. Joy says:

now I can finish that baby blanket I started and hit a point of I forgot how to do this !!! Hope this works so she can have it before she’s21 !! You sure can find any thing on the net now a day ! had to look up how to hoop a oneses!now I need great peter pan collars for baby, anyone?!

5. Pingback: How to Sew - How to Sew Satin Blanket Binding | DailyCraft - Your Daily Dose of Arts & Crafts Tips, Projects, & Inspiration. Quilting, Sewing, Knitting, Scrapbooking, Card Making and more!

6. Rosalee says:

Very nicely done! Had wondered how that works, now I know! Thanks!

7. Lynn says:

nice photos, easy to see and distinguish exactly what is being done!

8. Todd Wentz says:

I’ve done blankets and quilts and have never used zig-zag. I think the end product is more professional looking with a straight stitch. I also do th corner that way

9. Marie McKay says:

Good tutorial.

I’ve done straight stitching, zig-zag and blanket stitch. I like the way zig-zag turns out best.

I have also joined my two packages of binding like you would quilt binding and have mitered my corners by folding the binding upward and stitching on the inside and then folding it back.

I keep experimenting with what I like best. I’ll try this method, too.

My best advice is to use a good, sharp needle because the binding is closely woven and the needle can snag threads a cause an ugly pull.

10. Thanks for this tutorial-it was a life saver for sure. I had just struggled putting satin ribbon on a sm blankie for a new grandson due to arrive in June and then decided to go on pinterest and there was your tutorial!! Easy to follow and so I made another sm blankie for another grandson with your much better method!!

11. Pingback: DIY: Forest Themed Baby Blanket | TEXTURES

12. Mary Lou Polley says:

Thank you, I will try your sugestions

13. Connie Blancett says:

I am teaching my daughter to sew she is 32 and I am 58. She has not sewn since high school and now has 4 children. So I wanted to start out with something simple so we are both making PJ’s for kids for Xmas. She is a fast learner but likes to rush thru sometimes where I am very detailed and somewhat of a perfectionist, thus I don’t like to rush things. So now with PJ bottoms complete, she wanted to do matching tops. Then decides she wants to do blankets next then to the PJ tops. Ok, so it had been a while so I wasn’t too sure if I remembered how to attach the satin binding to the fleece, of course my biggest concern were the corners. So first thing I did was get on my laptop and your tutorial was the first one to pop up. Its was very easy to follow, your pictures were great, directions were clear & easy to follow, and lastly your tips were greatly appreciated and very helpful. She is just about finished with her first blanket as I type this comment and looked great, last I took a peek in the sewing room! So thanks for your time and excellent tutorial. Hope to see more of them for reference in my future sewing lessons to my daughter. It’s such fun doing mother and daughter projects and hope she does the same with her daughter.

14. Janise McKenzie says:

Hello, I’m new to sewing and started a project. I thought I could sew a satin binding to a fluffy fleece blanket and boy was I into some trouble. The binding kept bunching up, I would sew off track and wow them corners. I unstitched for hours, abandoned the project and a few months later now I’m back. In my refusal to give up I found your site and I must say it turned out great! I even finished the corners. Thank you so much for the details. I’ve realized that I am a perfectionist and need the step by step help, pictures and all. I would highly recommend this site to those starting out but can’t afford the classes or make it to one cause of time or little ones. I should have watched my mom when I was little. Now I have to learn, all on my own. :-)

15. Jan says:

Help! I did the same thing you did, in that I went to the fabric store for thread and ended up with 2+ yards of fleece and blanket binding. Problem is, I pinned the polyester binding to the single layer of fleece and my machine keeps stopping and bunching up on the bottom side. The threads are a tangled mess that has me pulling hair (mine). Is there a secret to the tension, or the feed, or do I just need a sharper needle? This is a Christmas craft so time is of the essence…. Thanks for any input!

16. Jill says:

Try using a microtex or ball point needle and use a larger stitch length, start with 3MM and maybe experiment. And, reduce the tension. You may need to experiment with settings due to your particular machine. And, yes use a new needle when sewing.

17. dirtgirl says:

Thanks for the superb tutorial! I had bound blankets some 40yrs ago for my own kids but had a complete blank when it came to binding the edge of a quilt for latest granddaughter. Viewing this brought it all back and I found myself saying out loud, ‘Oh yes, of course I remember now’
    Again thank you so much, I love that in this age of technology that folks are so helpful and prepared to assist others by posting these very detailed, easy to understand tutorials.

18. Caroline says:

Lovely clear pictures even I can follow – thank you.

19. Pingback: Mini-Project Monday – Frozen Blanket | Kitri Creates

20. Tricia says:

Would it be better to use a (machine) stretch needle for this type of binding or no? When I read the notes about the fraying, makes me wonder…..?

21. Catrina says:

Im Grunde genommen eine positive Geschichte, ich frag mich aber, ob dies dauerhaft realistisch machbar ist.

22. Marcy Pleu Lunell says:

Exactly what I need for the church Layette ministry blankets I am making. Simple and straightforward and I think I will finish in time (I laughed at your note on that), too!