Free Stuff Friday

Final Urban Amour Cover copy 662x1024 193x300 Free Stuff FridayHappy Friday!!

Our prize this Friday comes from our dear Sew it All TV season 4 guest, Jess Goldman. Check out her episode here. (PS: It includes free pillow patterns!) While you’re at it, check out her other trendy women’s, kids and accessories patterns at bananafanadesigns.com.

You could win the pattern above for FREE today! It includes the pattern for the skirt and a headwrap, which are so in these days. PLUS, I’ll even throw in some tailor’s chalk, because it’s Friday and we’re celebrating.

You know the drill. To enter to win this prize, post your answer to the following question in the comments section below:

“How do you store your patterns?”

I’m curious about this. Lucky for us all, Jess Goldman prints her patterns on durable paper that’s easily re-foldable. But commercial patterns printed on tissue paper are impossible to re-fold into any semblance of order! And then they tear when you try!

So, what do you do? Do you adhere them to a slightly stiffer, transparent material? Do you store them flat in a folder? Have you reached pattern nirvana and re-fold the tricky tissue paper into the crisp factory folds with ease?

One lucky commenter will be announced as the winner on Monday! Have a great weekend!

42 Responses to Free Stuff Friday

1. Stacy says:

I’ve got a ‘storage bin’ full of patterns that I am not currently using… then I have a pile of patterns that I want to sew up next and then another pile of patterns that I am sewing up. Hmmm, I’m not sure I’m THAT organized!

2. Marilyn Auman says:

Often used patterns get transfered to brown paper. The brown paper pattern then gets used, folded and put with copied instructions into clear page sleeves and put into binders. So I can find them easily and they are all together. The orignal patterns then get folded in some semblence of order and put with original envelope and instructions into a ziploc gallon bag (I said ” folded in some semblence of order” afterall so while it will never fit back into the envelope it should fit in the bag). This allows for the original tissue pattern to be referenced if needed and a new brown paper pattern to made int he future and the ziploc bag keeps the original pattern safe from the elements (ie maurauding hungry cats, bugs, spilled tea that never should have been in the craft room in the first place). The bags are then put into a filing cabinet full of all the other patterns I have so far processed. Patterns that are likely a one time use get cut out, used, folded in some semblence of order and put in the gallon bag like the others.

3. Linzel McBride says:

I transfer my favorite patterns to a fusible interfacing. It doesn’t take much heat and the patterns stay flat and intact. They are also easy to store by rolling them up and sliding them into an empty paper towel or toilet paper tube. The pattern jacket can be wrapped around the front OR inside with the tube labelled with the pattern description.

4. Towanda Foster says:

I store my patterns back in it’s original envelope and then in colorful baskets.

5. Kate Oliver says:

I have them sorted by categories in bins. I do refold them along factory lines, then use a gallon size zip lock bag to keep each pattern with their envelope. I plan to start adhering wax paper to the tissue paper to make it more durable. I have a few patters in ziplock bags with the fabric pieces that I plan to use with them. My categories are broad, I have 3, adult, children, & crafts (accessories & stuff).

6. Danni Armstrong says:

After I am done using my patterns I iron each piece, fold it, set it aside until they’re all done and neatly put them back in their original package and then put in zip lock box. They are then put in a box by catagory.

7. Rebecca Locke says:

I do my best to refold on the factory lines; then I use an iron on very low heat to quickly press the folds in place. I then store them in pattern boxes.

8. Regina Roza says:

I store my patterns in little plastic bins I purchased at Dollar Tree. The patterns are able to stand upright and I sort them by category; skirts, pants, tops, outerwear, kids, bags, etc. I have an awesome label maker, so everything is marked and ready to use. Did I mention I have OCD!!? I have tons of patterns and I also scored in the attic at my parents’ house when I found EVERY pattern my Mom ever purchased from the 60s, 70s, 80s and today!! She has some amazing Vogue patterns and they are all usable and intact!! She has taken very good care of them. Must be where I learned to keep all my sewing items neat and pristine!! I’ve been sewing for over 40 years now; boy do I have patterns!! Have a great weekend everyone! :)

9. Kim Goodwin says:

I have a dresser that I have my patterns stored in.
    It’s in my seeing room. This way I can have a
    different drawer for different types of patterns.

10. Tanja H says:

I individual patterns in a folder and store the folders in a plastic bin.

11. Susan Ohm says:

I store my patterns in a file cabinet. As for folding my patterns, I dry iron them flat after using them and then refold and run the low heat dry iron over it as I fold. This flattens them nicely and I can get them back into the envelope.

12. BikerchickRisa says:

I am borrowing my son’s 18 x 24 sketch pad to store my hand drafted patterns. I slip my patterns between the pages of the pad to organize and separate them (larger pieces need only be folded once). Homemade (or purchased) tabs can be adhered to the side or bottom edge of pages for more organization and ease in finding particular projects. It keeps them clean from dust and from being torn. For purchased patterns, I place the pattern pieces into 1 gallon size ziplock bags with the front of the pattern envelope facing out to easily identify the contents within (I have not mastered the art of refolding them after use to fit inside that small envelope!).

I store both the tablet and bagged patterns inside a presentation portfolio ( http://www.michaels.com/Artists-Loft-Studio-Portfolio/fa1429,default,pd.html?cgid=products-artsupplies-portfolios%26presentationcases-artportfolios&start=7 ) that we had purchased from a previous art class for him. For those unfamiliar with a portfolio, it’s a sturdy, zippered case large enough to hold the 18 x 24 tablet PLUS the bagged patters (with room to spare for rulers, cutting pads, etc in the smaller pockets).

Voila! :-) Happy Sewing & Happy Storing!

13. judi says:

Unused, uncut patterns go in a small paper box. Once I’ve used one I tape up the sides of a manila folder and put the pattern pieces inside. Then I glue or tape the pattern envelope to the outside. I put the basic pattern info. on the tab of the folder and store it in a file cabinet.

14. Lil says:

I was lucky enough to purchase a commercial pattern filing cabinet when my locac fabric store moved. If a pattern is a well loved one, I store it in a zipperer plastic bag with the envelope in my cabinet.

15. Erin Cumming says:

After tracing, I refold the factory folds, and if that seems too complicated or I’m too lazy, I fold them up to fit the envelope and iron it when it’s folded—instant new factory folds! I fold up my tracings and pop them in the envelope too. I have a lot of vintage patterns where the envelope isn’t really holding up anymore. With these, I cut up the envelope and tape it onto a new 6 x 9 envelope. I store them all in one drawer of a large filing cabinet. Once that becomes too full, I know I need to purge. Downloaded or traced Burda Magazine patterns get the same treatment with the Kraft envelope, but I will print off a pic from the internet to tape to the outside of the envelope.

16. Anna Bowland says:

I use a gallon size Ziploc bag and refold the pattern to fit. I toss in the original envelope and instructions with it and lay it flat.

17. Maritza says:

I transfer my patterns to parcel paper (I always have a couple of rolls handy) I try not to cut the patterns and try to fold them the way they come out of the envelope, then pack the envelopes upright in a wicker basket on a bookcase, they look so pretty! Then after I am done using the redrawn patterns I am able to roll them up and store them in mailing tube. I know it seems like a lot of work but it’s a system that works for me and more importantly my patterns stay like new.

18. SewLindaAnn says:

I’ve got a very large square metal bucket that I painted and decopauged. It fits a few rows of patterns easily. I, probably due to my OCD issues, re-fold and put the patterns back in the envelopes. I find it more efficient to have them in the original package as opposed to having different storage options for opened and new pattern packets.

19. BJMarley says:

I return the pattern to the envelope and store the envelopes in boxes, except when I don’t and the pieces get scattered everywhere and the cat eats them.

20. Virginia Darwin says:

I organize by children and then adults. Nothing fancy, just stored in a basket!

21. Kimberly N says:

I store them in a box. For patterns that I trace, I paperclip the pattern pieces together and store it behind the pattern. Everything used to be in order, but my two year old LOVES looking at the pattern pictures so it’s currently all over my sewing room. :)

22. Patricia Hersl says:

Plastic milk crates. All sizes are welcome! If I’m ever house bound I’ll be able to sew for the rest of my life. All organized by type. I’m shamefully anal about the patterns. Even have a typed list on my computer in an effort not to buy the same ones again.

23. kathy says:

I have a pattern file that I bought from a fabric store when it went out of business – the perfect place to store all my patterns! :)

24. Evelyn says:

Patterns are in plastic bins sorted by type: adult, child, home. Patterns I expect to use a lot are traced onto non-woven interfacing for durabilty. Used patterns go into plastic ziploc bags.

25. Wendy says:

I cut out my pattern pieces with enough margin and saving all of the sizes. I trace the size I want onto paper I buy, that is intended for use on doctor’s exam tables. It is easy to see the lines through it. For pieces that are too large, I usually use glue stick to add more paper(glue stick doesn’t shrink when ironed. I fold and iron the used pieces to fit the envelope then tuck them back in when done inside the instruction papers. Nothing torn! When I expect to have to reuse a pattern many times, I will trace the size I need onto the 24×36 inch graph paper that grade schools use…..I get it at Staples.
    Wendy

26. Sara Seagrist says:

I buy multi-sized patterns for my granddaughter’s baby clothes. I trace the appropriate size on tracing paper with the size noted on each piece. I fold these and put in plastic sleeves saved from online orders. Then I store all of sized plastic together w pattern envelope to the outside in a large clear zipper bag. I mark the pattern envelope with a W” for woven or “K” for knit so I can tell at a glance what type of material the pattern is designed for. I file them in an upright cardboard pattern box sequentially by pattern co. to help avoid purchasing duplicate patterns.

27. sarah cooke says:

three ring binders

28. Roberta Schultz says:

I store mine in a cardboard file box. Some of them are stored in ziploc bags inside the box.

29. Maria Kievit says:

Most of the store bought patterns end up back in its own envelop. I’ve got those mostly organized by women, children, crafts, and even different buckets for each company I have anything from: McCalls, Butterick, etc. They are also stored in numerical order in the buckets. Actually sometimes that makes it all hard to find, as I’m trying to get it organized by clothing article instead. At least I want to try that for a while…..

30. Mary says:

I store my patterns in large envelopes with the front and back of the original envelope taped on to them. Some of my older ones are stored in assorted boxes in their original envelopes. The bigger ones are in a filing cabinet.

31. Kathy says:

I have over 500 patterns from the Big 4 plus a number of independents and pattern magazines such as Burda. I store them on Closet Maid shelves above my sewing area. They are divided into plastic shoe boxes, and other shoe-box sized containers by pattern company in numerical order. I enter each pattern into an Excel database when I purchase it, organized by company, with pattern #, brief description, and date purchased (to comply with sewing contests that require the pattern to be over 6 months old). I also enter each pattern into a Pattern-File database that I can access at the fabric store through an app on my Android smartphone (to see if I already have it and get yardage requirements on OOPs).

I trace every pattern I make on rolls of pattern tracing paper (examining table paper) so that I can make each pattern for grandkids in different sizes as they grow and also because I require extensive alterations.

I press each sheet of tissue paper before tracing. I usually cut out each pattern piece outside the outlines so they are easier to trace. I then fold them back up and put them back in the envelope. I place my traced pieces in a quart-sized Ziploc bag. Each piece is labeled with pattern company, pattern number, part number, size and other important information. I use washable find-point markers and a different color for each pattern.

As I enter each pattern in the databases, I place a check mark near the number to show that I have entered it, plus date of purchase and a “PF” to show it is in that database, also. The PF database has kept me from rebuying dozens of patterns that I already have, plus I have access to yardage requirements for OOP patterns that I own.

32. Cheryl says:

I store my patterns in a file box. First filed by skirt, jacket, etc then broken down into sizes.

33. Susan Spiers says:

I fold them until they are small enough to put back into the envelope pattern – then into my pattern box!

34. Audrey says:

I store lots of patterns in file cabinets. If I can’t get the pattern back into the envelope, I put it in a storage bag, then a manila folder and file. Of course, I also have lots of patterns un-filed!

35. Angie says:

have a 5-drawer dresser full!

36. Patty Clubb says:

If I can’t get the pattern back in the envelope (which is most of the time), then I place the pattern and the envelope it in a plastic bag. I have a rectangular fruit/vegetable basket beneath my sewing table where I stash them. However, I may have to revamp my system based on all the great ideas I’ve read here!

37. Kelli says:

I store my patterns in a variety of places. A basket, in the back of the book they came in, ziplock bags, or 3 ring binders.

38. Rebecca says:

I have tried several different things. I love to collect and try patterns online and from the store. I use tracing paper for clothes and copy paper for smaller pattern pieces. Each pattern and pieces go into a page protector and placed in binder. I have all of my projects by type..child, baby, bags, home decor, etc.. Of course each binder is labeled with my awesome label machine. This is easy to store on the bookshelf, find like items and is able to grow as I get more patterns.

39. MelodyJ says:

I store mine bags.

40. Carrie S says:

I sort of fold them and put them in large Ziploc bags and then put them in my storage ottoman.

41. Vickie T says:

I keep my patterns in storage boxes so that they stay together and don’t get torn up.

42. Where Can I To Get cheap authentic Bengals jerseys Direct From USA