Free Stuff Friday

Keeping with the theme of well dressed children, Free Stuff Friday is giving away a child size pattern from Sweet Seams. This pattern is for girls size 2-6x and is great for re-purposing items that she has grown out of.  All you need is a purchased or thrifted knit t-shirt. Sew up the skirt and attach the t-shirt to it for an adorable dress.

sweet seams Free Stuff Friday

All you have to do to enter in this  giveaway is post your answer to our question in the comment section below.

Question:Did you learn to sew as a kid or did you learn as an adult? What was the first item that you sewed?

Post your answer to our question in the comment section below.

We’ll randomly select a winner on Monday.  Until then, enjoy the weekend!

This entry was posted in Free Stuff Friday and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

113 Responses to Free Stuff Friday

1. Mary Waddell says:

I am 76 and have tried to sew for years, not much luck, but still trying to learn.

2. Sofia says:

I learned to sew as a child. The first thing I sewed was a dress for my rag doll, ana.

3. Candy Mak says:

I learnt to sew when I was a kid, watching my fashion designer sister drafting up wild designs for her end of year runway shows.

4. Colleen says:

I learned to sew in home ec class in 1941 when a junior in high school. The first item I made was a skirt which was gathered at the waist, then on to a wool suit in black and tan plaid. Two entirely different items but I did well on both. Went on to sew for our four children, and grandkids and great grandkids. Have made entire wedding clothes down to the suits for the ring bearers and some out of velvet. Do lots of quilting now and still love to sew.

5. nadya kotik says:

I learned how to use a sewing machine in 8th grade!

6. Elaine says:

The first item I sewed was a gathered cotton skirt in 7th grade HomeEc class. But I continued to teach myself throughout high school and college. I have loved sewing for my children and grandchildren, as well as for myself, and now I also love to sew for charities.

7. Jen says:

The first experience I had was watching my Grandma sew. She sewed everything from pillows to wedding dresses. My Barbies had the best clothes. I first sewed an apron in middle school home ec class. Then I took sewing in High School and was hooked. I loved the class. I only got a C because I wouldn’t do the homework. I was too busy making clothes! LOL. I have made all kinds of things around the house. I made most of my kids Halloween costumes and now I am on to making things for my adorable grandbabies. I am scoping out a new sewing machine just now. My is about 30 years old and time to upgrade. The one with the most material when they die wins, right?

8. Joy says:

I have been sewing my entire life. My mother bought a big stuffed dog and taught me how to sew buttons on it. I was probably 4 or 5.

9. Micki says:

Aound 42 when I couldn’t find curtains I liked, took a adult night school course and have been hooked ever since. Now teaching my grandson how to sew

10. susan artz says:

I learned to sew as a child on my grandmother’s treadle sewing machine. My first dress was in 2nd grade with lots of help from my mother. She let me sew the dress but she put in the zipper.

11. Portia Walsh says:

Learned to sew at age 4 yrs on doll clothes, and graduated to a ffriend’s feather weight at 9 yrs for a dress to wear to Easter Mass. Later used a treadle in Home Ec. classes in Junior High School. Finally my parents bought me a portable 1949 Singer which I used for many years for clothing, curtains, my daughters dresses, etc. I now own a Babylock purchased last year, which sews and embroiders-WoW, so looking at a Babylock Serger as the next step for quick accessories and cute stuff:)
    Portia

12. Victoria Mccomber says:

I sewed as a kid and made my first doll clothes and today I have been sewing for 23 years now, I love it.

13. Steph Cook says:

I learned to sew as a senior in college. My roommate sewed all her clothes and I had to know how to make them too. I rented a machine and we sewed a lot, many times when we should have been studying. Once I graduated and got a real job, I bought my first sewing machine and haven’t looked back. My 3 year old granddaughter is awaiting a visit so we can begin to learn to sew. I can’t wait.