Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

Tomorrow I’m headed to Schaumburgh, IL for the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo, where I’ll be stitching up a storm with everyone in the Make-It Center! One of the projects we’ll be making is this very fun and very simple infinity scarf I designed for Sew it All, Volume 3.

InTheLoop1 257x300 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

For the scarf featured in the magazine, I used two contrasting strips of polyester/spandex jersey, which drapes really well. However, both knits and wovens work equally well for making the scarf. In the Make-It Center, we’re using Amy Butler’s new Alchemy Studio Collection, which comes in a variety of cotton woven fabrics, including voile, sateen and velveteen. We’re seeing lots of prints being mixed together this spring, so it’s a fun opportunity to showcase a couple of pretty fabrics. Or, you can make it all in one print for a more subtle look.

Here’s our lovely Graphic Designer Erin modeling one of the finished scarves made from one strip of voile and one strip of sateen:

Infinity 005 300x200 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

So pretty! If you can’t make it Schaumburg to stitch an infinity scarf of your own in the Make-It Center this weekend, here are the step-by-step instructions. It’s easy enough to sew in less than 30 minutes, and there’s really only one little trick to hiding all the raw edges, which I’ll show you below!

Supplies

• Two 14″x54″-60″ fabric strips (Use fabric that’s at least 54″ wide; the wider the better)
  • All-purpose thread
  • Hand sewing needle (optional)

Instructions

*Use 1/2″ seam allowances.

1 300x224 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

Align the strips with right sides together; pin. Stitch the long edges, leaving a 4″ opening along one long edge for turning. Leave the opening somewhere near the center.Don’t stitch the short edges. Press open the seams, but don’t turn the scarf right side out.

Okay, here’s where the little trick comes in! Reach inside the tube from one end and grab the other end. Start pulling the scarf inside itself with right sides together.

2 300x224 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

Pull the scarf inside itself until you match up the two short edges. Make sure the seams are aligned and the scarf isn’t twisted. The tube will be folded in half inside itself and the right sides will be together.

3 300x224 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

Here’s how the matched-up raw edges should look:

4 300x224 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

We’re almost done! Stitch the matched-up short edges all the way around.

5 224x300 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

Now, the fun part: pull the scarf all the way out through the opening you left along one long edge. All of the seam allowances are enclosed! Fold and press the opening edges 1/2″ toward the wrong side, and then stitch the opening closed. You can stitch it closed using a hand slipstitch, or you can edgestitch it on the machine using matching or invisible thread.

Your infinity scarf is ready to wear! It’s a nice versatile accessory for spring, and it also makes a great gift for all ages. Double it up or just wear it long for a different look:

Infinity 003 300x200 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

Infinity 005 300x200 Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

If you’re in the Chicago area, be sure to stop by the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo this Thursday through Saturday at the Schaumburg Convention Center to say hello or make a project with me. For more information, check the schedule of events here. I can’t wait to meet you!

This entry was posted in Tutorials, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Quick & Easy Infinity Scarf Sewing Tutorial

1. Portia Walsh says:

Hmmm! What to start on next????
    Portia

2. Pingback: Meet us at the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in Fort Worth! | Sew News

3. Betty says:

I used this tutorial to make three faux fur infinity scarfs today. The fabric was 60 inches wide, and I had 2 yards, so I cut it in thirds (24 inch strips) and folded the strips in half right sides together and sewed up the side, leaving a four inch opening, as described. Otherwise, I followed the instructions exactly. The scarves turned out great! Three Christmas gifts done! If only faux fur didn’t shed so much!

4. Jessica says:

Thank you so much! I was hoping to make some for Christmas gifts, but couldn’t find a tutorial that used two fabrics. Now I won’t have to guess the measurements!

5. Shelley says:

Betty–that’s exactly what I was thinking, as long as you have to purchase new material, to buy the material longer (the 24″ side) and fold it rst.
    From your 24″ x 60″ purchased fabric, you fold in half width-wise, which gives you a 12″x60″ rectangle and need to sew only ONE seam (leaving a 4″ section of that long edge open), then complete the steps.
    Thanks for leaving the reply, to confirm this!
    I wasn’t looking forward to sewing the short ends together in the manner other tutorials use. Thanks to sew news for posting this tutorial. Too bad it doesn’t appear first when using a search engine :)

6. Jeanne Grubin says:

I wonder if I can use fleece for the cold northern areas.

7. Kelley Price says:

I am making all my girlfriends one. So simple and fast.

8. Anita says:

These are fantastic, and I can’t wait to make one. I’m just a bit unsure, can you just confirm in photo 5 of your instructions, do you sew all 4 layers together or are you sewing 2 layers to form a tube like effect? Thanks

9. Terri says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I have been trying to figure this out. You are awesome!!!!!

10. Linda Dollar says:

Do you have suggestion on a scarf for smaller girls

11. Linda Dollar says:

suggestion for smaller girls scarf

12. Kathleen says:

What is nice about having two fabrics is you can have a multi coloured scarf. I think is a great idea and will try it out for sure.

13. Felicia Lisa says:

This is just GREAT! Thank you for sharing this! Love it.. and love how easy it is!!

14. Diane Fick says:

Love these direct and, oh sew easy instructions! Would like to make my two year Grandson a scarf….how much fabric would I need?
    Thanks for your work!

Diane

15. Sherilyn says:

Jeanne, if Betty could do it with faux fur, I’d think fleece would be snap.

16. Renee says:

This is an awesome pattern. Thank you so much for sharing! Christmas present making will be so much easier this year!