National Serger Month – Do I need a serger?

sergermo4 National Serger Month   Do I need a serger?

Yes, you need a serger!  When I bought my serger over 10 years ago I absolutely fell in love with it and really wonder how I ever did without it. If you are a prolific seamstress or sewist a serger can really take you to the next sewing level. Here is a short list of a few things I love about my serger. Plus a little advice on what to look out for if you decide to buy a serger.

What a serger can do for you

1. Serge seams in a cinch. Even difficult fabrics will serge quickly and effortlessly, leaving professionally looking seams.
  2. Hate messing with chiffon or other delicate fabrics? A 3 rolled hem will make a quick beautiful hem from a serger.
  3. If you are a seller of handmade goods or small crafts a serger will make fast work of many of your projects, assembly line style.
  4. Most sergers can make a blind hem on you garments.
  5. Sergers have a cover stitch which is similar to a two-needle stitch on a sewing machine.
  6. Seams that are made with a serger are more durable for garments.
  7. Sergers work beautifully with stretch fabrics and with make sturdy seams with stretch. No need to sew twice around armholes.
  8. You can use your serger with decorative and specialty threads allowing for unlimited unique touches to garments and crafts.
  9. Gathering fabric is super easy. Many sergers have a gathering foot but most sergers don’t even need one and you can do it without.
  10. Use a seger’s piping foot, and other attachments for home décor projects.

The serger is an invaluable compliment to your sewing machine.

Tips

1. There are 2-3-4- and 5-thread sergers. Babylock makes an 8, yes 8-thread serger. If you are new to sewing it’s highly recommended that you start small. Sergers can be complicated equipment.
  2. Sergers, like sewing machines can come with a high price tag.  However, there are many great makes and models out there to fit any budget.
  3. Try a friend’s serger first to see if it’s something you will like (You will).
  4. If you get a serger take advantage of the sewing store where you bought it. They usually have free or low costs classes that will make sure your serger gets used.
  5. Ask around to all your sewing friends and ask what they like and don’t like about their current serger. A common complaint is threading the machine. But, many models are now making threading easier than ever.
  6. Be sure to test drive several models and ask questions. Tell the dealer what type of sewing projects you most often make.

I could never give up my sewing machine, but giving up my serger, no way. There will always be enough room at the table for both.

How about you?  What have I missed about the greatness of a serger? Do you have any tips you would like to share?

To celebrate National Serger Month enter to win a win a fabulous Baby Lock ExtraordinAir Threading Serger and one-year subscription to Sew News!

Demonstrated on Sew it All TV episode 310 create this beautiful serged crochet lace doily.  Find all the directions and how-tos here!

Stay tuned for new serger posts on the Sew News blog and Faceboook page each week of April!

Visit NationalSergerMonth.org to find lots of fun free projects and tutorials.

Happy serging!

This entry was posted in National Serger Month and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to National Serger Month – Do I need a serger?

1. Pauline Granstrom says:

Love my baby lock evolution.

2. Leslie Brown says:

I LOVE my sergers. I currently own three: a Sharp, a Singer, and a Juki. I leave one in my sewing class (so I don’t need to bring it home), and the others I keep home. The Juki sews so beautifully. It was my best purchase yet.

I would encourage people to make sure that when you sew, please keep all fabric/your garment CLEAR from the knife while sewing. Let’s just say that I have ‘serged’ holes in my garments a time or two… Truly a learning experience. Otherwise, it is certainly a worthwhile investment. You will not be disappointed.

3. mary grimaldo says:

I still have my Sergemate that I purchased more than 20 years ago. It still sews and serges beautifully. Many things can be done without a serger, but more things can be done with it than I can count. It has made sewing so much easier!

4. Jill says:

Wow 20 years! All it needs is a little maintenance here and there and it keeps on going. And, your right, sergers make sewing so much more easier!

5. Jill says:

Oooh, you’ve got the plural going on! And, good point on keeping the knives clear. Whenever I serge I always have to think about what I’m doing!

6. Jill says:

That is an awesome machine. Technology and beauty all rolled into one.

7. Pingback: Free Stuff Friday – Winner | Sew News

8. Kathleen says:

I purchased my first serger in 1986. I had it for over 20 years, then was able to purchase a Viking that does the cover stitch. I could never live without my serger. The beautiful seam finishes leave everyone to wonder if I made it or bought it. Not to mention how much time is saved when you serge a garment. It is the best investment I have ever made.

9. Jill says:

I agree, I could not live without my serger! Thanks for sharing your love of sergers!

10. Ginger says:

You might want to change #5 to say SOME Sergers have a cover stitch. I know mine does not, but I wish it did. One day I’ll upgrade.

11. Jill says:

Yes, you are right Ginger, good point. Not all sergers have the cover stitch. And, here is a good tip too, when test driving a serger have the dealer show you all the things it can do, but ASK what it can’t do!