I love sewing with knits so when asked if I wanted to do Nancy Zieman’s Sew Knits with Confidence Blog Tour I jumped at the chance.
My biggest concern was the bust/bodice area. Nothing is quite as unattractive as wearing a droopy knit. In the photos the dress/tunic look as if they are more fitted through the waist and hips. Where the drawing on the back it looks more like an empire waist type fit. I prefer a more fitted look so I made adjustments as you will see in the photos.
I noted that there were no notches on the bodice front and back for placement of the sleeves. There were notches on the sleeveless version. However I simply lined up the shoulder seam notch on the sleeve pattern to the bodice should seam and the sleeves went in perfectly.
This dress would look great with an asymmetrical hem or long sleeves for fall and winter. I think this will be one of my favorite knit dresses to whip up.
Here a few observations about the pattern and the process
- Nancy peppers the instructions with helpful tips
- The sleeve is sewn flat
- I learned a new stitch – the Wobble stitch
- I cut out a XS.
- I created a back seam and took it in by 2 inches to create a more fitted version.
- Material used is a Rayon/Lycra/Poly T-shirt knit
- I LOVE the neckline. And, think it gives a retro, but dressy look to your usual knit dress.
- I did not use a serger, just my sewing machine.
- There is no interfacing.
So, what do you think? Leave a comment below about my version of the Santa Fe Dress from Nancy Zeiman, your love of knits or how you think you would sew it up. Those who leave a comment will be entered to win Nancy Zeiman’s Sew Knits with Confidence book and four knit patterns from her new collection! The Winner will be announced Thursday April 25, 2013!