September is National Sewing Month

sewing for children pic September is National Sewing MonthI’m sure you’ve heard that September is National Sewing Month! What better way to celebrate doing what we love then by teaching someone how to sew. For Free Stuff Friday the book Sewing For Children by Emma Hardy is up for grabs.  This book is great for teaching children, boys and girls the simple and satisfying art of sewing. There are 35 simple projects that are easy to create with small hands and your thoughtful guidance. Great for kids who are new to sewing and young children. The projects range from embellishing jeans and making barrettes to sewing pencil cases, pincushions, puppets and costumes.

Here is a great blog post from The Sewing Loft about sewing with children and safety tips.

You know the drill, answer the question in the comments section below and one lucky winner will be picked next Friday.

Question: Who was the person who introduced you to sewing.

Happy Sewing Month! May all your days in September be filled with sewing!

This entry was posted in Free Stuff Friday. Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to September is National Sewing Month

1. kelli says:

My mom who was my 4- leader.

2. Evelyn says:

My Brownie scout leader — we all made simple hand puppets.

3. Pat says:

Learned to sew inGrade 7 Home Ex.class Became a life long passion

4. Jane C. says:

My mother. Unfortunately not good memories…too many tears and too much cigarette smoke. At least she had the sense to send me to a sewing class, later. I had no trouble doing those Brownie patches.

5. Mary Mac says:

My mother did, we would sit and sew Barbie doll clothes.

6. Pam Miller says:

My Grandmother taught me to sew on a machine, my great grandmother taught me to quilt by hand, but my Aunt Sue gave me sewing lessons that allowed me to be the seamstress that I am today. Love you Aunt Sue.