September is National Sewing Month

sewing for children pic September is National Sewing MonthI’m sure you’ve heard that September is National Sewing Month! What better way to celebrate doing what we love then by teaching someone how to sew. For Free Stuff Friday the book Sewing For Children by Emma Hardy is up for grabs.  This book is great for teaching children, boys and girls the simple and satisfying art of sewing. There are 35 simple projects that are easy to create with small hands and your thoughtful guidance. Great for kids who are new to sewing and young children. The projects range from embellishing jeans and making barrettes to sewing pencil cases, pincushions, puppets and costumes.

Here is a great blog post from The Sewing Loft about sewing with children and safety tips.

You know the drill, answer the question in the comments section below and one lucky winner will be picked next Friday.

Question: Who was the person who introduced you to sewing.

Happy Sewing Month! May all your days in September be filled with sewing!

This entry was posted in Free Stuff Friday. Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to September is National Sewing Month

1. Diane says:

My grandmother taught me to sew at about the age of 5.

2. Ester says:

My dear friend Kim started sewing lessons and her enthusiasm about sewing and the things she sew where contagious. And because my mother sewed for as long as I can remember I got infected of the sewing virus ;-) because of those 2 lovely ladies! Started to take lessons and now I can not live without my sewing machine!

3. Sue Winnie says:

My next door neighbor and cousin taught me with 4 h at age of 7. Still loving it

4. Shirley Lynn says:

I learned in 4-H. My leaders were relatives and most of the club members were from my church.

5. Lori Nichols says:

My mom would make us Christmas dresses, curtains, but she didn’t like it ( her passion is drawing and painting). Then I took Home Ec in junior high and found that I enjoyed it. College and after I would refashion/ repurposed stuff. I love sewing for others.

6. Laura says:

My Bobo (grandmother). She was always sewing and I wanted to be just like her. At the age of 8, my mother enrolled me in sewing lessons.

7. Barb Hilton says:

My mom got me started, then my home-ec teachers took it from there. I was sewing at a level way above the class.

8. Joan says:

My Mom did but in Junior High, we had a terrific teacher. Finally when my kids were small and we had no money. I would make clothes for them

9. Annette Saitta says:

My grandmother. I always admired all things she could make.

10. Jackie Stall says:

I asked my Mom for a sewing machine for my birthday 10 years ago and she got me one. She showed me how to thread the machine and I took it from there, mostly teaching myself. I love being able to create clothing, quilts, bags, etc!

11. Kathleen says:

My great aunt, loved to watch her sew when I was a child. My Mom made home decor but not clothes. I really got the bug in high school and started making clothes for myself. Then for my little sis. Haven’t stopped since, love, love to sew! I am now passing the sewing bug to my granddaughter(age 7) she is always going through my stash and suggesting projects for us!

12. Kimberly N says:

My mom and grandma got me started! I would love to watch my mom sew and I used to play with the pedal of my great grandma’s treadle machine and watch the needle go up and down. My dream is to have a treadle!

13. Jeanne says:

My mother was very happy when I showed an interest in sewing because it was not one of her favorite things. She got me started sewing with the help of one of my grand mothers sewing doll clothes and hemming dish towels. I joined 4H as soon as I was old enough. By then I had been sewing for several years.

14. Karyl Jacobson says:

My Mom taught me to sew. I love that she was patient and persistent with me!

15. candy wilkinson says:

The person who introduced me to sewing is my Mom. She taught me how to read patterns , lay out my pattern and most of all be patient and take my time. I remember when I was in college and I had to make my cheer leading skirt I cringed because it had kick pleats and a zipper. My Mom showed me how to pin the pleats and put in the zipper.
    Now I am still sewing, altering dance costumes and now teaching my own grand daughters how to sew.

16. Mama Lusco says:

I took home-ec in middle school, but didn’t really start sewing until after my girls were born. I was self-taught using online tutorials and PDF patterns.

17. Jean says:

My mother who sewed our clothes, girls Holiday dresses to making barbie & Ken clothes for extra money. As well my High School Home Economics sewing class teacher gave me more technical skills in sewing and more passion for her great positive mentoring.

18. Teri powers says:

My grandma and mom who was also my Girl Scout leader

19. Paula Blevins-Ruszell says:

My mother when i was very young. It did not take long for me to discover i could have more clothes if i made them myself.

20. Marilyn Ming says:

My mom. She used to make me dresses and matching dresses for my Barbie. She was a fantastic sewer.

21. Janice Hamilton says:

My mom sewed till her eyes gave out and she could no longer thread the needle. But she never actually taught me to sew. I taught myself. I found I was not happy with “off the shelf” clothes and wanted items as unique as I am, so I bought a machine, bought some fabric and started with simple patterns. I now make curtains from scratch, mend clothes, and sew new outfits.

22. Candace says:

My friend Rachel really took an interest in sewing a few years ago and I was so mesmerized by her beautiful creations (totes, aprons, coffee cup cozies, stuffies etc). She made the best handmade gifts and I decided I wanted to learn. So far, I’ve made my daughter a beautiful blanket and I’m working on a sports quilt for my son. :)

23. laura perea says:

all the females in my family sewed . i watched and learned

24. BJMarley says:

My sweet grandmother taught me to sew, probably so she wouldn’t have to hear her 12 year old granddaughter complain about being bored.

25. My Danish grandmother who lived in Bronson, KS. She let me buy some green gingham fabric and helped me make my first dress without a pattern (we had to wear dresses to school). I was so proud. I want to teach my granddaughter to sew when she gets older.

26. Linda Knoles says:

My mother taught me to sew. I hated to sew when I was a teenager, and I’d tell her I was never going to sew when I grew up. So she told me, “If you don’t, it will be because you don’t want to, not because you can’t!” Now I sew nearly every day!

27. Judith Martinez says:

My mother introduced me to some basics but I learned most of my sewing in home ec. at school.

28. Lisa says:

My grandmother taught me how to sew on a really old black Singer sewing machine! I loved that machine!!!

29. KathyP. says:

My mother taught me to sew on an old treadle sewing machine, way back, when I was around 10 years old. I am so delighted that I have at least one young granddaughter that is enthusiastic about learning.

30. Carol Owen says:

My sweet mom was a wonderful seamstress and made everything I wore until I got married. For years I learned sooooo much from just watching her sew. Later in high school I took Home Eco. and had a very talented sewing teacher BUT not like my Mom!
    Mom did lots of hand sewing embroidery, tatting, etc. also. I share her love for hand sewing as well… So very thankful for for her having the patience to teach me and now I can pass this art down to my grand daughter!

31. Mary Angerer says:

My mother helped me a little when I was small, and several people along the way tried to teach me. But I really didn’t get anyplace until after I was married and got my own sewing machine for Christmas, just a few months after we were married.

32. Paula Fulford says:

My Mom taught me to sew on her machine that she received on her 16th birthday!

33. Amy R says:

My mom taught me to sew.

34. My grandmother used to sew, and had a Singer pedal sewing machine, and I got the bug. I’m the only one of my siblings, cousins that sews.

35. Brenda says:

My mom taught all 4 of her daughters to sew. I had to learn to sew by hand first, because my legs were too short to reach the foot pedal of her sewing machine. As soon as I was big enough, I sewed anything and everything! We still share a love of sewing and patchwork quilting:) Love my mom!

36. V. Abney says:

My mother started my journey with a needle and thread. Others built upon what she started with me, but she was my first teacher. :)

37. Robin says:

My grandmother!

38. Shirley says:

My mother always sewed clothing and quilts for our family and she let me use her sewing machine. I also learned to sew in 4H and returned the learning by teaching sewing in 4H now.

39. Laura says:

My Mom showed me how to use a sewing machine. After that, I taught myself

40. Cheryl Maynard says:

I learned to sew 40 years ago in 10th grade home economics class. My first creation was a simple half apron. After that, I started making most of my own clothes.

41. Dori Turbes says:

I learned to sew in Home Ec at high school. After that I got tired of my cousins hand me downs and went to garage sales. I’d buy womens dress’ with full skirts and remake them into jumpers and skirts, etc.

42. Sherrie Polatas says:

I used to watch my grandmother hand sew most of her things and use her treadle machine on bigger projects. My mother also was a sewer as was many of my family members. I grew up around it, it’s in my blood. I picked up much of knowledge from observing others in the family.

43. Cathy says:

My mother taught me to sew by hand. She showed me how to make a pincushion

44. Noreen Rak says:

My great aunt taught me to sew when I was four. I am now a senior! I love to sew dolls for children who are in need, and also was sewing clothes for them too. I would love this booklet, but don’t know how to get it. Sewing is coming back in this age, I hope, it is the fabric that made our country!

45. Carol K E says:

My mom taught me to use her sewing machine when I was about 7 years old. Later, I had opportunities in 4-H and in helping my great aunt who sewed custom drapes for a furniture store and for Younker’s. When she would get a rush order, my mom and I would be called into service to help. I could sew straight and worked on pressed hems while Mom and Auntie did the pleats.

46. Dane Rogers says:

My mother taught me to sew as well as crochet, embroder and cook. My mother could do just about any craft. In addition to those listed above she cook decorate cakes like a pro, knit, make ribbon flowers and so on. And most of these things she taught herself to do. She was absolutely amazing. She was always making gifts for her children and grandchildren. I miss her greatly!

47. Cyndy Lacey says:

An Italian neighbor woman. I used to play with her daughters and on summer break when I was 8 she taught me to make an apron. She made us perfect our hand stitches before we could progress to her machine! I will always remember her with such great fondness .

48. I was introduced to sewing by my girl scout leader. She was a wonderful woman, who taught me more than just what was in the book. A great lady!

49. Maureen V says:

My mother introduced me to sewing. I would watch her in the evenings after the milking chores were done. She sat into the night sewing clothes for me & my younger sisters who were twins. I have a fur coat that she sewed for me out of her coat she wore in the 40′s. So far, my granddaughter is not old enough yet to wear it!

50. Patti Avery says:

My mother introduced me to sewing. I remember playing next to her while she would sew for me and my siblings in the evening. Mom made almost all of my school and play clothes. She also designed and sewed my wedding dress, which made it very special to me. I now use the knowledge she gave me and sew for myself and my family.At 89, Mom still sews when she can. We enjoy exchanging ideas and showing off our new project to each other.