Get started making holiday gifts!

refashioned bags blakeney 1 Get started making holiday gifts!Halloween is over and now we turn our thoughts to creating and sewing gifts to give for the holidays. The book Refashioned Bags by Faith & Justina Blakeney  show you how to “up-cycle anything into high-style handbags”.

The authors show you how to take just about anything and turn into a a fully function, one-of-a-kind practical handbag. Go through your closets, thrift stores or even the garage to find materials and fabrics to use in making a fun tote bag, purse or handbag. Their motto is “Take it. Make it. Wear it. Flaunt it. Recycle it. Sell it.” So many options and ideas here in this book to do all of those things!

For Free Stuff Friday answer the following: What is your favorite item to make for holiday gifts?

And, the winner for last week’s Patchwork Style book by Suzuko Koseki is Nisha W. Please send us your mailing address at sewnews@sewnews.com and we’ll send this out to you right away!

Thanks everyone for reading our blog and being a fan!

Jill

This entry was posted in Free Stuff Friday. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Get started making holiday gifts!

1. lori roberts says:

love making lounge pants for the family

2. Anne Rita says:

I love to make bags or tablerunners. Both are just the right sized projects that you can finish in short time.

Thanks!

3. Ann Dick says:

I like to make useful items for the kitchen.

4. Cindy says:

I like to make grocery bags. Our town no longer allows plastic bags, and the stores have to charge 5 cents for paper, so one can never have enough fabric grocery bags!

5. Robin Huss says:

I love making bags and big totes!

6. Donna Harris says:

I have access to TONS of scraps from a friend’s sewing room. She makes drapes, table toppers, bed spreads, etc. I get scraps of high end linens, cottons, silks, etc. I SEE projects (bags, clutches, pillows, etc.) when I look at the scraps! I love taking what would otherwise go to the dump and making something useful and beautiful out of them. I LOVE your site and reference it OFTEN for inspiration.

7. Ellabeth Green says:

I like making Christmas stockings.

8. Siobhan Murphy says:

I like to make bags and scented lavender cushions

9. Annette says:

The last two years I have made ornaments for our Christmas guests. We always have a big get together with family and friends on Xmas eve. I like having something for everyone. :)

10. Lisa Krupa says:

I love making zippered coin purses and quilted mini notebooks. They are great if you need an unexpected gift.

11. Deborah Echaves says:

I love to make ornaments customized to the recipients.

12. Angel Scalia says:

I love to make pot holders……everyone needs them and they make up quick and easy:)

13. Lynda Verdenik says:

I love to make bags and accessories, they make great gifts.

14. Judy Morris says:

Stuffed animals, dolls and handbags

15. Mary Mac says:

Love to make ornaments.

16. Happy M says:

One year I made fleece “quillows” for all the nieces and nephews. I hemmed the fleece with a very close overcast on my serger with wooly nylon. I embroidered child’s initials on the pillow part. They loved them. I made a few for the adults too.

17. Carrie C. says:

Embroidered PJs! :-)

18. Karen Propes says:

I’ve already made so many different items, but I love to make something to give to my guests as they leave after visiting us during the holidays. This year it’s going to be mug rugs, I’m going to make some holidays and some just decorative. I’m so excited, can hardly wait to get started. I’m also making some for birthday gifts too, they will be themed around the season/month of their birth. I don’t know who came up with this idea and it may have been around for a long time, I love it. you can give that instead of a set of napkins and they can move them where ever their drink will be. I love Christmas and spreading joy and love to everyone.

19. Carol Womack says:

I like to make small children’s throws with panel designs on one side and flannel or fleece on the other. Warm and pretty!

20. MC says:

My favorite gifts to make are small bags or pretty scarves.

21. Nancy Glisson says:

I love making Christmas items and table linens.

22. amy mayer says:

I love to make creative pillows and napkins

23. Bonnie Wilkening says:

I like to make Christmas stockings. and usually have work on one wall Hanging for Christmas to be given away..

24. Carol K E says:

I like making table runners and will be adding mug rugs this year. In past years, I made new Christmas dresses for our daughters, often clipping the last threads on the way out the door for the Sunday School Christmas program.

25. kathleen says:

I make my grandkids P.J.s every year. We see them on Christmas Eve and they always look forward to wearing them that evening to bed.

26. Sherry S says:

I like to make pajama pants for the whole family. We get to open them on Christmas eve, then everyone has new pajamas on, on Christmas morning.

27. Ernie Acuna says:

I try to make something different every year. Bags, purses, wallets, scarves, what ever I can think up. Still not sure about this year.

28. I enjoy making new ornaments each year. Pot holders and knit/crochet dishcloths are always popular gifts too.

29. SANDRA CUNNINGHAM says:

My gifts include kitchen towels embroidered, ruffled and fancy, T-shirts embroidered, 5-6 ft long mufflers/scarves/hats for my Ohio relatives and anything else I can think of to go with. The new thing I have been seeing is gloves that have metal fibers in the fingertips so they can text, etc on their touch pads. Yep! Found a source for the fiber.

30. Evelyn says:

This year I’m making mug rugs for the adults and pillowcases for the children.

31. Claudia says:

I love to make fabric bags. I embellished them using different coloured stitches. Then I use them as a gift. I put cinnamon cookies into them.

32. Maria says:

I love to make little zipped pouches, and I’ve made dolls and small quilts too.

33. Shannon Hall says:

I an a new sewer and a need more confidence and practice. Have a 2 yr old and many babies on way in family. Hope to make tie bibs and girly ones for girls. Love making ornaments from s along down larger patterns. Made a cloth diaper ornament last year. Also have Silhouette Cameo so plans with that too!

34. Michelle says:

I love to embroider kitchen towels for teachers and family members. Everyone seems to love them.

35. Can YOU get my dream have dreams have much money on it debbiebarlogio 9939gouldst Oakland ca 94603 can ask him edneed helphow can I win sewing threads mix colors and for one yr.

36. Can YOU get my dream have dreams have much money on it debbiebarlogio 9939gouldst Oakland ca 94603 can ask him edneed helphow can I win sewing threads mix colors and for one yr.
    s about around ask you ask me if use for my birthday nov and cat dogs ribbon fabric with ano book.