How to find inspiration and keep sewing through the year

covere3970c How to find inspiration and keep sewing through the yearAfter the new year turns back to an old routine we all could use a gentle poke to get back to creating charming pieces in our sewing rooms. The book Sew Charming by Cath Derksema and Kirsten Junor is just the right amount of inspiration to get you back into your sewing room sewing up wonderful little items.

This book comes in at under 200 pages but it is jam-packed with all sorts of goodies any sewist will love. There are projects for the nursery, big kid’s rooms, projects for the living room and kitchen. There are instructions for making toys, pillows, clothing, book covers, laundry bags, adult garments and much more. The projects are fresh, simple but contemporary. The book also includes instructions for screen printing and basic sewing and quilting tips. Whether a seasoned seamstress or someone who has made a New Year’s resolution to learn how to sew this book has everyone covered with fun and easy modern sewing projects.

To be entered to win this fabulous book answer the question in the comments section below.

What do you do to  get inspired when you are in a slump. How do you stay inspired in your creative life?

Let me know in the comments section below!

Jill

This entry was posted in Free Stuff Friday and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to How to find inspiration and keep sewing through the year

1. Gail says:

I just enjoyed reading others thought and suggestions on inspiration. I have been away from my sewing machine for a couple of years now, but suddenly feel inspired just by hearing from others that love to sew. Thanks for creating this post!

2. Peggy Schaff says:

I look in magazines, nature, books, taking classes. visiting with other quilters, Just about anything.

3. Kay Birnbaum says:

I browse my old issues of sewing magazines and patterns. My library is wonderful and the sewing, crafting section is my go to spot to get inspired. I forget the time and just soak in all the ideas. I usually leave checking out 2-3 books to continue being inspired.

4. Fran Calabrese says:

when i’m feeling in a slump, I look at back issues of magazines, I roam through the local craft store and I also look at you tube sewing episodes.

5. Wendy says:

A good walk through the fabric store inspires me–feeling the fabrics, visualizing all of the prints and textures as new projects. Being in that sewing atmosphere brings me into the creative spirit!

6. Jane Smith says:

I think some Pinterest pin boards and a couple of online libraries can help get inspiration.

7. ~anna~ says:

It depends on my mood…sometimes I pull out older issues of sewing and craft magazines to enjoy. Other times I pull out a box of patterns and try to envision them with fabric that I have on hand. Then there is Pinterest…I check through some of my own boards, or browse through someone else’s pins. Other times I think of a possibility, such as ‘fabric collage’ and search Google Images. Then there are the times that I sort through my fabric and see what ideas come out!

8. Mostly I look at others work online and pattern websites, but sometimes I go through old magazines with patterns in them. Did that just last night. :)

9. Deborah Tudor says:

I had always enjoyed sewing and craft projects. My mother taught me how to sew the summer before I started 9th grade. I then began to sew the majority of my clothes, as I wasn’t one of the more fortunate girls who got to keep up with the trends in their wardrobe. Being able to make my clothes gave me more confidence and proud.

I went on to taking 4 years of Home Economics, and I had learned to make just about anything I wanted. So far as to make my wedding dress.

That being said….I think I got somewhat burned out on sewing for myself but I did enjoy making things for my girls.

Years have went by since then, and it am now yearning to throw myself back into sewing. I’ve married a wonderful man in 2010 and inherited 3 grandchildren. Two of which are girls. The oldest girl is 4 and recently a new addition of a sweet baby, 7 weeks old now.

They are a big inspiration to start back sewing. Also running across new sites such as this one today ( which I just love!!! ). I’ve been keeping ideas in my notes of “Must Do’s” almost to the point of so many….where do I start!! I’m excited as I have a 3rd bedroom that is “MY” room, that is being set yo for my sewing and crafts.

I’m 58 now and so excited to get back into sewing, embroidery, quilting, and trying new things. Being retired, I’ve all the time The Lord allows. I’m also determined to learn to crochet!!

I would “sew” love to have the book that sounds AMAZING!!! Thank you sew much for all the you share with us as it’s all inspirational.