Perfect Party Dresses! Free Stuff Friday

Screen Shot 2014 03 27 at 12.52.12 PM1 Perfect Party Dresses! Free Stuff FridayAt Free Stuff Friday it’s party time! In Perfect Party Dresses:12 superb dresses to smock and sew, edited by Susan O’Connor there are the prettiest dresses any little girl would love to wear. With easy to follow instructions, 180 step-by-step color photographs and multi-sized liftout patterns this will become your guide to creating dream-come-true dresses for the girl in your life.

Screen Shot 2014 03 27 at 12.51.42 PM1 Perfect Party Dresses! Free Stuff Friday

The contributors for this lovely book are: Annette Drysdale, Connie Quarre Moses, Denise Bakes, Diane Muddrow, Gail Doane, Julie Graue, Nancy Lee and Yvonne Betts. Each designer has contributed a beautiful dress that calls for heirloom sewing, smocking and/or hand sewing techniques (as well as machine techniques). These dresses would be perfect for a wedding, holiday or any special occasion.

Please answer the question below- Do you remember your favorite dress as a kid? What was it made of, who made it? Was the twirl factor high? Did you trip the light fantastic every time you wore it? What is it about these dresses, that make us so giddy?

Can’t wait to hear the details?

And, the winners for the Clara Dress giveaway are:

• Mira
  • Banner Witt
  • Margo

I will be in touch with you shortly and give you instructions on how to get your prize and start sewing!

This entry was posted in Free Stuff Friday and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Perfect Party Dresses! Free Stuff Friday

1. Sherrie Davidson says:

When I was in first grade, my mother took sewing lessons. She made a dress for me that included a pinafore-type apron. She appliqued a tall skinny cat on the apron. It was my favorite dress for years! Luckily, Mom put a long hem in the dress – and I was tall and skinny, because I wore that dress all the way through third grade. I remember how sad I was when I could no longer button the back of that dress. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to remember!

2. Lauren says:

It was this black dress with red flowers made by a Spanish woman. I loved it so much that if my other dresses didn’t work my mom would always put this dress on me. It was silky and didn’t make me itch.

3. Mrs. Ishwary Pious says:

It was a red dress…material is a shiny organza . On the lower part of the bodice there were pleated folds, that appeared as 2 right angled triangles with the hypotenuse joining in the middle. White pearls were fixed joining each folds at intervals. Since I was skinny the skirt part had gathers that stood out in the air. The sleeves were puffed.
    Stitched by tailor……..pattern supplied by my friends mother who is an excellent fashion maker, who knows how to choose materials but never made a business out it.
    Those days we had tie-able bows at the rear !!!

4. Pam says:

It was a blue velvet jumper that my Aunt made for me when I was around 7 or 8. I also felt so special in it because my favorite aunt made it just for me.

5. It was my first smocked color and dress that I made for my youngest daughter’s First Communion. The dress was box pleated with a satin sash made with Swiss eyelet. Then I smocked a color with white silk embroidery floss. I was so proud of myself when I had finished it

6. Helen Creamore says:

It was a lovely ivory organza. The skirt was tired and each ruffle layer was trimmed with lace as were the puffed sleeves.The skirt twirled like a dream and made me feel beautiful.
    Little party dresses are my favourite thing to sew!

7. Barb Graybeal says:

My favorite dress was made by my mother. It was a full length wedding dress for my Barbie doll. Under skits and all.
    She crocheted the wedding dress and sewed the under skirts. She also crocheted the bouquet. She eventually did make my wedding dress and yes I felt like a princess!

8. Marlene Stockard says:

My favorite dress was a gingham dress my grandma made for me when I was nine. It had short puffy sleeves and a full skirt. She did a cross stitched border on the skirt. I can still picture that dress fifty years later.

9. Wilma Mazzulli says:

My first communion dress was like a wedding dress, I wore it several times for special religious occasions, church events, and then mom made a beautiful blouse with the skirt part, and I wore it for a long time; eventually I had to say good by to it as I outgrew it. I still have the picture of the dress and look at it and dream of my younger days☺

10. Vickie says:

It was pink dotted organza made by a friend of my mom’s. And, oh my yes, did it spin!

11. Katherine S says:

My favorite dress was a grey calico print. It was my very first dress that I made for myself when I was 8 years old (1962). My mother was a bit concerned when I picked a pattern with a very full skirt, buttons up the back, and sleeves all for my first dress, but I insisted. She made sure I did everything correctly, or I got to take it out and do it again (“God loves a cheerful ripper”). I still remember trying to work ahead of her and gather that skirt (4 full panels) without really knowing how to do it. I was so proud of myself, but then I got to do it again the right way. I wore that dress until I completely outgrew it, but I had made my doll a matching dress which I still have in my doll trunk. I do still have the pattern I used for the dress. It had big twirl factor with a crinoline petticoat underneath all that skirt. I didn’t make the petticoat. We wore them a lot back then so I had one to go with most of my Sunday dresses.

12. Renee says:

When I was little, probably before I even went into elementary school, my mom had made for me my FAVORITE dress, EVER! It was a pink and white gingham check with a solid white collar. And on the front was appliqued a seal playing with a ball. Oh, how I loved that dress! I wanted to wear it for every occasion. It made me dance! I cried when I outgrew it. I haven’t thought of that dress in years. Thanks for the memory… :-)

13. Marianne Myrick says:

My favorite was a navy blue polka dot dress. It had short puff sleeves edged with lace, and a square bib lace neckline. It was a dress I wore for one of our yearly amily photos. My motner made that dress, as well as many of my dresses.

14. Peggy A. says:

It was a pretty pink with flocked white dots. Lots of twirl factor with it’s own fluffy petticoat and a long ties that made a big bow in the back. I remember having lace edged anklet socks, white cotton gloves, shiny black shoes and of course a hat with flowers. No one in my family could sew but Mom was a great bargain shopper.

15. Mojo861 says:

My Mom made me a black velvet jumper, with braid down the front from a shop in Sausalito, that was floor to ceiling with braid, ribbon, and beautiful trims. I loved to go to that shop with her and my sisters who all sewed.

16. Mamalusco says:

I had a blue and red denim jumper that I loved! It was my favorite colors and had been made by my grandmother.

17. Laura Kerr says:

The only dress I can remember was a denim skirt with a small ruffle at the bottom and a matching denim vest.

18. Cyndy lacey says:

It was my 7th birthday, it was kind of a muted purple with tiny gold threads running through it and had a full skirt & Peter pan collar. Wow! I could twirl like nobody else! I also remember Mom being frantic because she hadn’t finished the hem.

19. Sandy Steele says:

I was 6. My grandma, a wonderful seamstress, made a blue and white swiss dot dress for me and a matching one for my cousin, Pam for Easter. I thought I had died and gone to heaven in that dress. It was organza and I had new white Easter shoes to wear with it. My mother took a picture of my brother and I on the lawn. We were holding our Easter baskets and had just finished finding all of our Easter eggs…

20. mary mac says:

My favorite dress was a brown and pink polka dot that I wore pink fish net stockings with. I was in the 5th grade. This was back in the 60′s. It was cool to wear fish net stockings back then.

21. louie says:

I grew up in a great family…the depression years…my world did not have money…what we grew, and what could be recycled..my aunt made a dark blue velvet dress for me and my grandmother gave me a matching blue purse..I so enjoyed the memories of that speciasl Christmas.

22. Vwren says:

We went shopping for school clothes for kindergarten, and I fell in love with a dress instantly. I called it my “apple dress”, and proudly wore it for my first day of school, and many more times afterwards. It was a full-skirted, puffed sleeve, to-the-waist cotton dress with a pink on black print of tiny alternating roses and apples. The skirt had a built in crinoline with a pink ruffle that made it twirl perfectly. The dark print became more than a little a little faded, but it never lost it’s charm. The dress still hangs in my closet 55 years later, and still makes me smile!