How Many Ways Are There To Say Underwear?
No, I don’t like the word “panty.” I prefer underwear, underpants, even knickers. They sound a bit sturdier, which is how I like my undergarments, thank you very much. And, I’ll say another thing: I never in a million years thought I would be sewing my own unmentionables. I always felt I would rather be sewing garments that the world could see and I could brag about. And, no, I’m not one to show off my well-made skivvies and slinky slips no matter how wonderful they may be. But, I can spread the word to those that might be a bit skeptical about sewing their own bloomers and other intimate underthings.
Benefits to sewing your own bun-huggers, PJs and other unmentionables:
- Custom fit. Nothing’s worse than wearing store bought granny pants when your body is not yet a granny. If you’ve ever worn a too tight pair of Underoos you know what a deal breaker that can be.
- Save money. If you like to buy expensive under things, sewing your own could save you some dollars.
- Expand your sewing skills. When sewing bras, little pants, slips and other undergarments, you’ll experiment with new fabric types and fibers.
- Instant gratification (almost). Sewing up a pair of undies or a lacy slip doesn’t take a huge amount of time.
- Personal preference. I like wearing slips, but stores don’t have a large selection anymore. Sewing my own fixes that.
The biggest benefit is that nothing feels quite as good as sewing it yourself. This includes sewing your own bikinis, briefs, boxers, sleepers, fundies—whatever you call them, heck even panties.
Are you interested in sewing your own underwear, lingerie and other lovely underthings? If so, you’re in luck!
We have a sew along starting today with Monica Bravo and she’ll show you just how wonderful it is to sew your very own underthings. I hope you join us! It runs 4 weeks, just tune into the blog and start sewing your own undies. Pick up Monica’s Bravo Bottoms pattern to get started.
The Valentine Slip from Sew Chic, sewn by Rhonda Buss
Last year we had a wonderful sew along that you can access any time on how to sew your own slip.
The Sew Chic Valentine Slip is a romantic and lovely undergarment, and easy to sew by following our sew along.
Imagine this slip in a bold red, or sexy black. This pattern has sweet vintage details and it’s easy to make alterations for shortening it or customizing it to suit your needs and tastes.
You can find the entire tutorial and videos on the Sew News Blog .
So, where do you stand on the word panty vs underwear? Have a preference, don’t care? Have you ever considered sewing your own regardless of what they’re called? Let me know on the blog!
So far I have 12 different ways of calling underwear anything but panties!