You know your favorite dress in your closet that you wish you had in five different colors or fabric? Or that skirt that fits you so perfectly, you’d love to replicate? If you have existing garments that you LOVE, and you want to learn how to create a pattern from a garment in your closet, this course is for you.
In this five-week online course, you’ll learn three different ways for creating a pattern from an existing article of clothing. This course will cover how to create a pattern that you can use over and over again to recreate your favorite ready-to-wear pieces. You’ll see the copying techniques on a skirt, a dress, and a shirt. You will learn how to translate these techniques to many types of garments, you’ll also learn different paper options to use for your finished patterns.
This course will show you the basic construction steps for sewing a skirt, a dress, and a shirt. that way, once you’ve made your replica patterns, you can be on your way to easily sewing the pieces out of new fabric!
- You’ll learn how to create a pattern from an existing garment in order to recreate your favorite pieces over and over
- You’ll learn how to create a replica pattern by three different methods: Taking your garment apart, tracing your garment’s separate pieces, and drafting replica pieces
- You’ll learn the proper tools for each technique
- You’ll learn which garments are most suitable for each technique
- You’ll learn three different material options for the final pattern
- You’ll learn tips for choosing the right fabric for a replica garment
- You’ll learn tips for sewing a copycat garment
- You’ll learn basic construction steps for the three sample garment types: A dress, a shirt, and a skirt
Who Is This Course Best For?
- Anyone interested in recreating an existing garment
- Intermediate sewers familiar with using patterns
- Beginner patternmakers who want to learn replica techniques
- Anyone who’s tried copying a garment and who wants to learn a better method
Course Runs January 17 – February 21, 2106 and cost is 49.99