BIG News for Readers of Sew News!

Every Day We’re Hustling
Things are really bustling in the Sew News editorial offices. If you’re a long-time subscriber of Sew News you’ll have noticed that over the years we’ve gone up and down in page count. It’s just part of the business of running a magazine. It’s been a few years since our magazine has moved much past 70 pages, so I’m beyond thrilled to announce that our next issue of Sew News (April/May) will have 16 more pages of content!

magazine stack FS BIG News for Readers of Sew News!That means more articles from your favorite sewing talent, more beautiful photos, more tips and techniques. This will be the standard page count for the rest of the year. What can you look forward to the Apr/May issue? Let’s have a look!

• Eight garment projects!
  • Master Class featuring Linda Reynolds who walks you through Set-In Sleeves
  • Plus size sewing column featuring Jenny Rushmore of Cashmerette & The Curvy Collective
  • Mimi G!
  • Brand new Pattern Play featuring Meg Healy of BurdaStyle
  • Beautiful home decor and fashion columns
  • Get Sewcial a new back page highlighting inspiration found online
  • Learn about favorite talent in Meet the Maker
  • Two sew alongs in each and every issue!

We will continue to have our Basics Skills column, which is perfect for beginners or those coming back to sewing and Joi Mahon joins us again dispensing her top advice for all your fitting woes. You’ll also find all your favorites like Staff Picks, Hide & Seek, Reader Tips and Off The Shelf.

Needless to say we are super busy. But, I would love to hear from you. What past columns and articles did you enjoy seeing from years past? If you’re new to Sew News what would you like to see? Are you looking forward to the next issue? Leave me a comment on the Sew News blog!

head+shot200 BIG News for Readers of Sew News!

Jill Case
Online Editor, Sew News
SewNews.com

clare coat 150 BIG News for Readers of Sew News!
Clare Coat

Clare Coat Sew Along

There’s still time to join the Clare Coat Sew Along! Bop on over to the Sew News blog and you’ll find the first two installments of the sew along. This coat is a great start to coat and outer wear sewing. It’s not only easier to sew than most coats, it is easier to fit.

The Clare Coat is from Closet Case Files patterns, a indie pattern company owned and operated by Heather Lou. The Clare Coat is a fan favorite for its easy style and modern silhouette. Sew yourself a great coat this year with Sew News and Closet Case Patterns!

appleton model 150 BIG News for Readers of Sew News!
Appleton Wrap Dress

Appleton Wrap Dress & Sew Along

Ah, the wrap dress. One of the seasons must-have wardrobe staples. What, you don’t have one? You say you haven’t found the right pattern for your curvy self? No more worries! Jenny Rushmore founder of Cashmerette and The Curvy Sewing Collective has the pattern for you.

The classic wrap dress is designed to play up your curves with a crossover front, a built-in waist tie, and a not-to-deep V-neck. Designed by and for curvy and plus size women, the design’s innovative neckband construction prevents gaps. Bonus: Join our sew along in February for more tips and tricks. All on the Sew News blog starting February 7th!

BIG News for Readers of Sew News!

This entry was posted in Events. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to BIG News for Readers of Sew News!

1. KBC says:

One of our group goals is to increase awareness of sewing…people are sewing, but don’t know how to find like-minded people for support or lessons. What about tips and tricks and an article on National Orgs dedicated to this? An example would American Sewing Guild…it is a non-profit I am very involved with that does great charity sewing, offers workshops, etc.

2. Janice says:

Just have to say that I really enjoy the magazine. Looking forward to more pages and new content! I am disappointed that the largest fabric stores in my province have closed; the only ones that remain open cater to quilters rather than those doing fashion sewing. I’m afraid that sewing seems to be on its way out, and it makes me sad. Anything we can do to bring back sewing??

• Jill says:

Are you in Canada? I’m not familiar with the fabric stores there, but in the states we’ve lost Hancock’s and for big retailers we only have JoAnn’s and independent ones are holding on but it’s tough for them. Sewing is on the upswing, but it will never be what it was ‘back in the day’. We’d need to have a huge paradigm shift if just about everything we do. With clothing being manufactured at such cheap prices it’s hard for many people to justify sewing their own clothes. However, we who love to sew can continue to support institutions, people and companies that promote it!

I think the closing of sewing/fabric stores has more to do with cheap fashion than anything else. – Jill

3. Sandra Gourley says:

I am really happy to see Plus Size being put into the magazine. Look forward to seeing it.

4. MelodyJ says:

The magazine was getting so small I wasn’t sure it was doing well. I thought it might disappear. Sew News is still in the games. Congrats on being able to put out more content.

5. I’d like to see an article series about new sewing business owners. It’s easy to focus on the women who have “made it,” but what about those working toward “making it?” What are the struggles? mistakes? successes? surprises?

• Jill says:

Yes, great idea! “Making it” sure has changed in the last 10 years, even 5, let alone 15+. This would be a great topic. Thank you.

6. Sharon says:

Wonderful news! I can hardly wait for the new issue.

• Jill says:

And, to make clear this is the next issue. The current issue on newsstands has the old page count. Look for the new issue around February 15.

7. Marlene Clausen says:

As someone who has been sewing for many, many years, I love an article or column that gives step-by-step instruction on a couture or heirloom detail. Some that come to mind are fagotting on shoulder seams, how and when and “wear” to use all those hem stitches I have on my sewing machine, perfect monogramming (size, placement, style) especially on men’s shirts, spaghetti straps, and double and triple piping. Even if I never use the technique, I enjoy the challenge of learning and perfecting it. Just because I know how usually leads to my using it!