News from Nancy Zieman

Nancy Zieman, of Sewing with Nancy, Retires

a tough diagnosis causes the sewing pioneer to say goodbye

Screen Shot 2017 09 06 at 4.20.52 PM News from Nancy Zieman

I met Nancy Zieman many years ago. I was just starting out in my career and looked up to her for all she had done to be a champion of the sewing industry. She’s brought sewing into people’s living rooms on her PBS show every day. She’s invented new sewing notions to make sewing easier and more fun. She’s faced adversity, having been inflicted with Bell’s palsy at 14 months old, which, she says, “has shaped my life in many ways–directed the traffic, to offer a metaphor.”

Screen Shot 2017 09 06 at 9.22.48 AM News from Nancy Zieman

Nancy’s biggest challenge came in 2015, when she battled osteocarcoma and breast cancer. She underwent treatment with positive results, only to have the cancer return this past summer. Realizing that further treatment was not an option, Nancy decided to retire.

Nancy has always offered me encouragement and enthusiasm for this great industry that she helped foster. Every time I see her, she offers a smile of genuine caring. She is truly remarkable, and you can read more about her life in Seams Unlikely, the memoir she wrote in 2014.

I encourage you to read her note and offer her encouragement and love–the same she’s given us through the years.

Thank you, Nancy, for everything.

News from Nancy Zieman
This entry was posted in Sewing In The News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

114 Responses to News from Nancy Zieman

1. Bonnie Lintz says:

I just read about your illness ,and with tears streaming down my face ,I want you to know what an inspiration you have been to me. Thank you so much for sharing your talents and exposing me to such interesting people and beautiful fabric arts. Many prayers go out to you and your family.

2. Joyce Moses says:

Nancy, you are such a wonderful teacher!!! So many times I would start a sewing project and think that it would be impossible to complete. But there you were in my living room via television and/or books encouraging me to continue! THANK YOU! My heart is broken that you are not well. I will be praying for you! Love, Joyce

3. Geri M Nehls says:

I always thought of you as my personal sewing guy. I could not wait until every Saturday to be with you. My husband had a journey like your. My prayers are with you and your family. I pray for a miracle if it be God’s will

4. Sharon Fagan says:

Dear Nancy, You have been a great inspiration to me in sooo many ways , You gave me the back bone to keep on trying with all your neat tricks and sewing techniques and gagets. I have enjoyed following you all through the years . I pray everyday for you and your family that GOD will Bless you with his grace and heal you and give you peace and happiness. You have truly been a Angel to all of us and you are dearly loved. We wish you a speedy recovery sisterly love, Sharon Fagan

5. Christine Dillon says:

I have watched your show for many years and have learned from you along the way. My prayers go out to you and to your family and friends; stay strong, and know that the arms of God are around you.

6. Regina Gunter says:

When I heard the news regarding your new health issues, I cried. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April of this year. Had chemo & am now facing a mastectomy. I have so enjoyed your Sewing with Nancy shows so much over the years & I will miss seeing you & learning more. I pray for you, your health & for your family. Be strong.

7. Barb says:

Thank you Nancy for all the inspiration and joy you have brought to so many of us for so many years. I could hardly live without my sewing machine, needles, and thread nearby. They are my delight and my sanity clause fostered by wonderful people like you! I will keep you in my prayers.

8. Elaine Eckert says:

We have been so fortunate to have you teaching us new skills through your show, your products and your books over the years and I wish to thank you. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and wish the best for you.

9. Alicia Lopez says:

Dear Nancy,
    I was a home economics teacher from the 70′s through the 90′s in a small south Texas town. The best part of teaching was being able to help my students ( boys and girls) construct garments, etc. I used to get yellow fliers in the mail from you when you were selling notions. If ‘m not mistaken, it was called Nancy’s Notions. I remember looking forward to receiving them so I could see what was new. I have followed you ever since then. Every Saturday my family knew that from 9:30 to 10:00 I was not to be disturbed because I was going to watch your show. I was very sad to hear about your illness, I pray every night for my friends and family who have cancer and I have included you too. Thank you for all you have done to help my generation as well as this one to love our craft. May God bless you and your family.

10. Chris Cox says:

My Mom and Grandma taught me the basics of sewing, but it wasn’t until I was a young, stay-at-home Mom with three little kids that I really became interested in upping my sewing skills. I looked forward to each episode of Sewing With Nancy to see what new information you would offer and the inspiration to tackle projects that were a challenge.
    Thank you for fostering my fifty year love of sewing!

My prayers are with you and your family. God Bless you.

11. Patsy Gibbs says:

A simple thank you is inadequate for the pleasure you have given over the years. Your common sense, exuberant presentations have encouraged each of us to be better with each project. Wishing you well.

12. Mari Ann Sopcich says:

Nancy,
    Thank you for all that you have taught me.
    Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

13. Susan White says:

What a gift you have been to me over the years, from learning new skills and refining the old skills, encouraging me to build my abilities. Thank you so much, I will truly miss my early cup of coffee we always shared together as I watched your show.
    Prayers and courage to you and your family.