Are you ready to overcome your serging fears by learning all about your serger? In Serger 101, our latest class from Craft Online University you’ll learn:
- how your serger works
- threading techniques
- basic construction skills
- serger curves and corners
- different stitches
- and so much more!
This course will teach you all you need to become fearless with you serger. The tools and techniques taught in class guide you through everything from threading basics, to serger garment construction and how to to select the most appropriate stitch for any type of fabric
Serger 101 will give you the chance to explore new techniques and practice old skills. If you are brand-new, this course will help you build a strong foundation. A serger may not entirely replace your sewing machine – but after Serger 101, you’ll wonder how you ever made it without one!
A serger is an invaluable tool to have in your sewing studio and to use for your sewing projects. It’s great for making garment construction quick and easy, and sergers will even even add special decorative touches! Don’t let all those threads intimidate you – take this course and learn how your serger can become your new sewing buddy.
What’s included in the Craft Online University
- Access your courses anytime, anywhere, with a computer, tablet or smartphone
- Videos, quizzes and interactive content designed for a proven learning experience
- No set class time! Our courses are structured to fit around your schedule.
Serger Course Outline
Get to Know your Serger
- Basic Serger
- Advanced Serger
What Stitch Where?
- Different variations of the 3, 4, and 5 thread serger stitches
- Threading a serger for 3 and 4 thread stitches: Wide, narrow, flatlock and rolled hem
- Threading for a 5 thread serger
- How to serge both concave and convex curves, serging inner corners, serge a continuous circle and methods on securing ends
Serging with the 3 and 4 Thread Overlock – Serging a Knit Shirt
- Construction steps for serging a basic knit shirt, Serging cuffs, hem, neckline trim, suggested patterns for project
Serging witih the Flatlock – Serging a Reversible Table Runner
- Step-by-step construction of the flatlocking project
Serging Rolled Hems
- Demonstration of common rolled hem challenges, tools and techniques and construction of scarf project
Specialty Tools and Techniques
- Decorative Techniques
Long time Sew News, Creative Machine Embroidery and Sew It All magazine contributor, Katrina Walker will fearlessly guide you through this course.
A lifelong seamstress, Katrina Walker is a sewing educator and apparel designer specializing in textiles, garment construction, Pojagi-inspired single-layer piecework, and surface design techniques. Katrina is well known as a professional in the sewing industry at large. Her designs and sewing expertise are featured in many magazines, including Threads, Stitch, Sew News, SewStylish, and Creative Machine Embroidery. She represents Pfaff and Husqvarna Viking sewing machines as an educator, and is a popular instructor at the Houston International Quilt Festival, the Sewing and Stitchery Expo, and at national sewing conferences around the country.
Katrina’s one wish is to inspire everyone to sew! No matter what age, experience level or interest, Katrina loves to reach out to sewing enthusiasts everywhere and encourage them to learn, explore and above all, create!