Rae Cumbie is our resident pants expert, with a particular penchant for pants fitting. However, pants fitting is irrelevant if you haven’t first picked the right pattern for your body. Read on for Rae’s tips on selecting the right leg shape for your body.
The shape of the pants pattern leg should be considered in relation to your shape, height, lifestyle and type of shoes you wear. Take a look at these classic leg shapes and consider these suggestions.
- Most women look good in straight or slightly tapered legs.
- Tapered legs that accentuate narrow hips and legs flatter oval or inverted triangles shaped bodies with little waist definition.
- The full hips of pear shape bodies can be exaggerated by a very tapered or skinny leg but are flattered when pants fall softly from the hips in straight- or wide-leg designs.
- Short legs usually look best in tapered styles.
- Long legs can appear shorter in wide-leg styles.
- If you wear shoes with high heels to make you look taller, the pant leg should extend gracefully over the shoe.
- If you wear athletic shoes or clogs, a straight or tapered leg hemmed with a small break looks neatest.
- For cropped leg pants, choose a length that ends where the leg is most narrow.
- Hem very narrow pants near the ankle and consider adding a slit in the side seam.
- If you wear long loose tops, tapered or narrow pants are a good choice.
- If you prefer high hip or cropped tops, tapered, straight- or wide-leg choices are flattering.
- Cuffs add to the traditional look but can make legs look shorter.
What issues do you have with shapes of the leg portion of pant patterns? Let us know in the comments section below.