Light as a Feather
Feathers aren’t just for the runway. Ostrich feathers turn any classic silhouette into an upscale garment. Create feather trim from luxe plumes and add them to a ready-made silk camisole for a standout piece.
Follow these simple step-by-step photos to create your own luxe trimmed tank!
1. Purchase a ready-made silk camisole and coordinating ostrich plumes. The size of the camisole determines the number of ostrich plumes needed and ribbon length.
2. Using a precision knife, slice down the rachis (the center shaft) of the ostrich plume, leaving enough room to keep the feather together but cutting off the bulky stiffness of the rachis. Trim the uneven edges from the feather.
3. Cut a 3/4”-wide strip of interfacing long enough to wrap around the camisole hem with a 1” overlap.
4. Pin the trimmed ostrich feathers to the center of the interfacing strip along the entire length, overlapping the feather ends 1/2”.
5. Using a wide zigzag stitch, stitch down the feather-strip length, making sure the zigzag stitch extends over both sides of the cut rachis.
6. Place ribbon down the center of the stitched feathers, fold in half and pin, covering the interfacing and exposed rachis.
7. Using a 1/8” seam allowance, straight stitch the folded ribbon edge.
8. Pin the feather trim to the wrong side of the camisole hem, beginning at a side seam. Stitch along the pre-sewn hemstitch. Overlap the feather trim edge slightly and trim away any remaining bulk.
The Feather Place: L.A. Showroom provided the amethyst ostrich plumes: featherplace.com.
Find styling tips and camisole patterns on the upcoming High-End Hack: Feather Trimmed Tank blogs.